Fall Start Math Skills Self-Assessment
(UPDATED AS OF AUGUST 8th, 2011: Summer Start students should view the information at the bottom of the page)
Your core course faculty requires that you be proficient in certain math skills before you begin the program. The Math Self-Assessment will help you to assess your skills in this area. The Math Workshop is designed for you to learn or refresh your skills in order to help you be as prepared as possible for your first year's core courses.
For the economics, statistics, and finance core courses, you will need to be proficient in:
· Data Relations (Equalities and inequalities, absolute value, ratios and fractions, summation notation)
· Functions & Graphs (linear functions, nonlinear functions, summation notation)
· Systems of Equations
· Exponents (the laws of exponents, quadratic formula)
· Logarithms (compound interest and e, exponential growth, natural logarithms)
Your Core Course Faculty has created a 20 question Math Skills Self-Assessment to help you assess your skills in this area. It should take you between 20-45 minutes to complete. We ask that you take the self-assessment before arriving at Stern. Use the Answer Key to score your exam to learn your results. Your results will be a good indicator as to whether you need to take the Math Workshop. Note: the in-class Math Assessment that was originally scheduled for August 25th has been canceled, and this Self-Assessment has replaced the in-class exam.
1. Study and/or review the Math Skills Self-Study Materials.
2. Take the Math Self-Assessment (20 questions).
3. Score your assessment exam using the Answer Key:
o 15 or fewer questions correct – Enroll in the Math Workshop:
· Register for the Math Workshop.
· A fee of $350 will be charged to your Bursar account
o All others: If you’d like a refresher in your Math Skills, please enroll also.
This workshop is designed to help you refresh or learn the required Math Skills so that you are best prepared for your first year core classes. Professor Avi Giloni will conduct an 8 hour Math Workshop during Launch 2011 (formerly Pre-Term) on these skills. The cost of the workshop is $350. Once you register, your Bursar account will be charged. The deadline to register is Wednesday, August 17, 2011.
Register for the Workshop.
Math Workshop Schedule:
Copyright © Leonard N. Stern School of Business