1. If I Establish Proficiency in a Menu Core Course, how many remaining Menu Core Courses an I required to complete?You are required to complete, or Establish Proficiency in, at least 5 of the 7 Menu Core Courses. If you Establish Proficiency in one Menu Core Course by (i) having an undergraduate major or master's degree in the subject, (ii) having taken at least 5 prior courses in the subject, or (iii) passing the proficiency exam, you will have one less Menu Core Course to take. For example, if you Establish Proficiency in Marketing, you only need to take 4 other Menu Core Courses (rather than 5). Keep in mind that we encourage you to take all the Menu Core Courses, but you are only required to Establish Proficiency in 5.
Yes. If you Establish Proficiency in a Menu Core Course, this satisfies the pre-requisite or co-requisite requirements for elective courses. For example, if you Establish Proficiency in Marketing, you have fulfilled the Marketing co-requisite for Digital Marketing.
3. How many credits do I need to register for each semester?
Full-time students must take at least 12 credits each semester to maintain full-time student status.
4. Can I take courses in the Winter Intensive or Summer Intensive sessions? Can I take courses in the Summer semester?
No. Full-time MBA students are not permitted to take Winter Intensive session, Summer Intensive session, or Summer Semester courses. These courses are reserved for Langone students. Full-time students are permitted to register for day-time and evening courses during the Fall and Spring semesters only.
5. Can I take additional Core Courses in my second year?
You must complete your Stern Core requirements in the first year of your program. In the second year of your program, you may enroll in additional Menu Core Courses. You will need to petition the Academic Policy Board for permission and then take these courses on a space available basis with students in the Langone program.
6. How many credits can I take towards my degree outside of Stern?
You are allowed to take up to 15 credits outside of Stern, at other NYU divisions, or through the Study Abroad program.
7. Can I do an Independent Study?
An Independent Study is arranged directly between the student and the sponsoring faculty member. Further details and guidelines are available under Policies & Procedures.
8. When can I take my Free Course?
You may take up to three free credits in the same semester that you complete your 60th credit of the program. This may be in the form of one 3.0 credit course or two 1.5 credit courses. You are not able to take your free credit once you have graduated.
9. Why is one of my courses falling under "Courses not credited towards MBA" on my My Program Progress page?
Your course may fall under "Courses not credited towards MBA" for the following reasons:
a. Free Course: if you have registered for a Free Course it will appear under the "Courses not credited towards MBA" section of your My Program Progress page. Once you have reached 60 credits, the system will automatically bump any additional credits to this section of your My Program Progress page. You will still receive credit for this course and the grade will still factor into your GPA.
b. Courses taken at Other NYU Divisions: When you enroll in a course at another NYU division, the course will appear under the "Courses not credited towards MBA" section of your My Program Progress page. Once Academic Affairs and Advising receives confirmation that you received a passing grade in the course, it will be moved into the electives section of your My Program Progress page.
10. Why haven't I received my grades for a course?
You may not have received your grades for a course for the following reasons:
a. Incomplete CFE: A "##" symbol on your My Program Progress page signifies that you have not completed the CFE for this course. This will delay distribution of your grade for 30 days after the grade has been submitted.
b. Grades not yet submitted: The professor may not have submitted the grades for the course. The Office of Records and Registration posts grades on the day that they are received.
11. How do I appeal a grade?
You should contact the professor of the course directly to appeal a grade. Any further appeal should be addressed to the Department Chair.
12. Who should I contact if I am having difficulty in one of my courses?
You should contact the professor and the TA of the course with questions and concerns. You may also apply for tutoring through the SGov MBA Tutoring Site.
13. Do language courses count toward my MBA?
No. Language courses do not count toward your MBA. If you are interested in learning a new language, we have partnerships with a number of Language Exchanges.
Copyright © Leonard N. Stern School of Business