Math Self-AssessmentYour Core course faculty requires that you be proficient in certain math skills before you begin the program. The Math Self-Assessment will help you to assess your skills in this area. The Math Workshop is designed for you to learn or refresh your skills in order to help you be as prepared as possible for your first-year Core courses.
Math Skills RequirementFor the Economics, Statistics, and Finance Core courses, you will need to be proficient in:
- Data Relations (Equalities and inequalities, absolute value, ratios and fractions, summation notation)
- Functions & Graphs (linear functions, nonlinear functions, summation notation)
- Systems of Equations
- Exponents (the laws of exponents, quadratic formula)
- Logarithms (compound interest and e, exponential growth, natural logarithms)
- Familiarity with basic calculus, at the level of taking derivatives of polynomial expressions and using first-order conditions to determine maxima and minima
We strongly advise you to study and/or review the Math Skills Self-Study Materials before you start your Core classes at Stern. Your professors will assume that you have this knowledge, and many of the concepts that you will be learning will rely on these skills.
Math Skills Self-Study
Your Core course faculty has created a 20 question Math Skills Self-Assessment to help you assess your skills in this area. It should take you between 20-45 minutes to complete. We ask that you take the self-assessment before arriving at Stern. Use the Answer Key to score your exam and learn your results. Your results will be a good indicator as to whether you need to take the Math Workshop.
Math Skills Self-Assessment
- Study and/or review the Math Skills Self-Study Materials
- Take the Math Skills Self-Assessment (20 questions)
- Score your assessment exam using the Answer Key
- 15 or fewer questions correct – Enroll in the Math Workshop
- All other students are encouraged to enroll in the Math Workshop if they would like a refresher on their math skills
Math WorkshopsThis three day workshop is designed to help you refresh or learn the required math skills so that you are best prepared for your first-year Core classes. A fee of $350 will be charged to your Bursar account. You may register for the Math Workshops when you complete the Spring registration forms.
The Spring 2014 Math Workshop dates are as follows:
Sunday, February 2, 10:00am-1:00pm
Sunday, February 9, 10:00am-1:00pm
Sunday, February 16, 10:00am-1:00pm