Pre-Law InformationProfessor Jeanne Calderon, one of the BSPA professors, is the pre law adviser for Stern undergraduate students, MBA students and alumni. Some students may start to think about attending law school while/after taking the Law Business and Society course. Please consult Professor Calderon's pre law website which contains relevant information for potentially interested students http://people.stern.nyu.edu/jcaldero/ Should additional information be needed after reading the posted material, please request a meeting with Professor Calderon. Please note: During the fall term meeting times are reserved for seniors, MBA students and Stern alumni who are applying (or seriously planning to apply) to law school in the fall or early winter.
Additional Information:Erin Katims, a Stern undergraduate adviser, assists Professor Calderon with pre law matters. She meets with students throughout the school year.
Pre-Law Suggested CoursesThe courses listed below appear with some regularity in the College of Arts & Science curriculum. Please note that the courses change from year to year and semester by semester, so consult the Fall and Spring bulletin to familiarize yourself with current offerings.
Also note that law schools do not prefer any specific major. You should concentrate in academic areas, which most hold your interest – the
fields most likely to motivate you.
Pre-Law Sugested Courses
• History: Many courses. See here: http://history.as.nyu.edu/object/FeaturedCourses.html
• Journalism: Journalism Ethics And First Amendment Law
• Metropolitan Studies: Law and Urban Problems, Urban Design and the Law
• Philosophy: Political Philosophy, Ethics, The Nature of Values
• Politics: American Constitution, American Law and Legal System, Civil Liberties,
Law and Society
• Psychology: Social Psychology
• Sociology: Deviance and Social Control, Criminology, Politics, Power and Society
• Gender & Sexuality Studies: Law and Society, Gender in Law