IOMS Groups: Information Systems • Operations Management • Statistics
The Department of Information, Operations & Management Sciences (IOMS) is a common home to faculty whose research style is analytical or technology-based. Three Groups - Information Systems, Operations Management, and Statistics - combine their strengths and capabilities.
In the past ten years, the IOMS faculty have not only continued their considerable past achievements in research and teaching, but also have moved to the forefront of research in areas such as outsourcing and offshoring, online advertising, mining social media content and social networks, revenue management and pricing, stochastic processing systems, long memory time series, categorical data analysis, and strategic analysis of global warming.
- Anindya Ghose and Panagiotis Ipeirotis, Associate Professors of IOMS, won the Best Theme Paper Award at the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) 2012 in Orlando, Florida, along with Stern alumnus Beibei Li (PhD '12) of Carnegie Mellon, for their paper "Search Less, Find More? Examining Limited Consumer Search with Social Media and Product Search Engines."
- Panagiotis Ipeirotis along with researchers Serge Belongie of UC San Diego and Pietro Perona of Caltech, received a $1.5 million grant from Google to develop a program for integrating crowd sourcing with machine learning algorithms to improve the ability to search and identify visual media.
- Prasanna Tambe, Assistant Professor of IOMS, awarded $400K grant from Alfred P. Sloan Foundation for his research on the "Economics of Information Technology Labor Markets Using Administrative Datasets." Congratulations, Sonny!
- Jeff Simonoff, Professor of Statistics, "New Study Shows that a Major Tony Award Lengthens a Show’s Run by Almost 50%"
- Foster Provost, Professor of Information Systems, "Bid Optimizing and Inventory Scoring in Targeted Online Advertising"
Norman White, IOMS Deputy Chairman
Vasant Dhar, IS Group Head
René Caldentey, OM Group Head
Peter Lakner, Statistics Group Head
New IOMS Specialization
- Business Analytics (formerly Data, Models & Decisions)
A specialization in Business Analytics allows students to choose from a menu consisting of a wide variety of relevant courses in statistics, operations, information technology, and marketing, according to their area of interest and career path. The skills learned in these specializations would help them be more effective in their careers as Financial Analysts, Consultants, and Marketing Research experts.
Achievements and Awards, Grants and Honors
- Beibei Li, recent graduate of the IS Doctoral Program, wins ACM SIGMIS Doctoral Dissertation Award at ICIS 2012. Congratulations to Beibei and her advisers Panos and Anindya!
- Vasant Dhar, Head of IS Group and Director for CBA, illustrates the market opportunities associated with free online content delivery in the Financial Times.
- Arun Sundararajan, Associate Professor and NEC Faculty Fellow, offers expert views on collaborative consumption and the sharing economy:
- Anindya Ghose, Associate Professor, was recently awarded the Google Faculty Award of $66,500 for his work on measuring ad effectiveness and audience behavior on mobile devices.
- Kristen Sosulski, Assistant Professor, contributed a case study entitled, “Supporting Online Learners at Interurban University,” in the book, Linking Theory to Practice: Case Studies for Working With College Students.