A Light Bulb Moment for Bankers
By Roy C. Smith
The share prices of Citigroup, Bank of America, Barclays and Deutsche Bank are, on average, still 75% lower than they were in January 2008. Their boards could do well to monitor closely GE’s proposal and keep an open mind.
Over the past five years, GE’s share price performance has lagged the growth posted by the S&P 500, as well as the company’s principal competitors Honeywell and United Technologies.
Large financial services businesses are still regarded by markets as suspicious, toxic and vulnerable to punitive government regulation and litigation. For GE Capital, with its exceptionally large exposure to finance (GECC provides 51% of GE Capital’s consolidated profits but represents 88% of assets), this has become a significant burden.
Read full article as published in Financial News
Roy Smith is the Kenneth G. Langone Professor of Entrepreneurship and Finance and a Professor of Management Practice.
More Opinions from Roy Smith
- "Sanity Needed When Punishing Finance Misdeeds," 12.2.13
- "A Light Bulb Moment for Bankers," 9.23.13
- "Investors Gain the Ear of the Listening Banks," 6.3.13
- "Make No Mistake, Size Matters with Systemic Risk," 5.6.13
- "Prosecutors Need Lessons in Spotting a Financial Avalanche," 2.11.13
- "The Ideal Christmas Gift for Mark Carney," 12.17.12
- "Wall Street Survives One Storm But Now Faces Another," 11.12.12
- "At last, Citi’s board takes over," 10.18.12
- "Dodd-Frank will test both Romney and Obama," 10.8.12
- "Barclays must address the strategic dilemma," 8.13.12
- "Time for Europe-wide FDIC Fund – and Quick," 6.18.12
- "Shadowland Will Take Care of JP Morgan," 5.28.12
- "Once and Future Investment Banks," 5.4.12
- "S-factor Spotlights Banks’ High Systemic Risk," 4.16.12
- "Bold Action Needed Over Bank of America," 3.5.12
- "Pandit Should Learn a Lesson from Reed," 1.9.12
- "Careful Where You Cut, a Bonanza Awaits," 11.14.11
- "Dimon’s Bank Can Ride a Storm of Rules," 10.17.11
- "Break Up the Banks, Even Goldman," 9.5.11
- "Dodd-Frank Shows Teeth on First Birthday," 7.4.11