Domestic Summer Start Students
- Complete the 2015-2016 FAFSA application online as soon as possible. The application is used to determine federal student loan eligibility for the following summer and fall/spring semesters. Please review the federal loans section of the Stern Graduate Financial Aid website for detailed information.
If you are applying for a private loan, please submit an application directly to the private lender of your choice. You may apply for a summer-only loan and then a fall/spring loan combined for the remainder of the academic year. For a sample list of lenders, please visit the private loans page on the Stern Graduate Financial Aid website. Typical processing time is 3-4 weeks. Please plan accordingly.
- Receive a financial aid award notice to your Stern e-mail account about one month prior to your summer payment deadline.
- Accept your summer federal loans on NYU Albert. This is the university-wide system which provides a comprehensive view of your financial aid. In addition to federal loans, Albert will also display any private loans for which you have applied and been approved, and any scholarships you may have received.
- Sign in at studentloans.gov to secure your loans. You must complete the:
- Entrance Counseling Session
- Master Promissory Note(s)
- After accepting and securing your loans, please confirm approval by visiting the NYU Albert system.
- Register for Summer Start classes and complete the registration form found under the Academics and Registration tab of the Admitted Student website. The form is due by June 3, 2015. If you have confirmed approval of your loans with the Stern Graduate Financial Aid office, you may include the loan amounts on the registration worksheet. All approved loans will be credited directly to your Stern Bursar bill, and you will not need to pay this amount out of pocket.
- The Stern Bursar will refund you any loan credit beyond tuition and fees. We encourage you to use the direct deposit option for your loan refund. Due to the high volume of refunds at the start of the semester, our office advises that you budget for the first month of classes.
- About one month prior to your fall payment deadline, you will receive a second electronic award notice outlining your fall/spring federal student loan eligibility. Once again, you will accept and secure your fall/spring loans on the Albert system.
- Complete the Tuition and Fees worksheet by your fall payment deadline, July 8, 2015. This form will be made available on the Admitted Student website in early summer. You may include loans and scholarships (where applicable) after confirming approval by viewing your financial aid status online.
- Similar to the summer semester, all approved fall loans will be credited directly to your Stern Bursar bill, and you will not need to pay this amount out of pocket. The Bursar will refund you any credit beyond tuition and fees. Due to the high volume of refunds at the start of the semester, our office advises that you budget for the first month of classes.