Please note the following when completing the Essays section of the application.
The following essay questions give you the opportunity to more fully present yourself to the Admissions Committee and to provide insight into your experiences, goals and thought processes. Your essays must be written entirely by you. An offer of admission will be revoked if you did not write your essays. Please note the following:
- Essays 1 and 3 must be typed and submitted using the standard U.S. 8 1/2” x 11” format, double-spaced, in 12-point font.
- Please adhere to the essay word limits provided for each question.
- Word limits apply to the total question. For example, your response to Essay 1 should answer all parts of the question with a total maximum of 500 words.
- Label the top of each essay with the following: Name, Date of Birth (month, day, year), Essay Number and Page Number (e.g.: Joe Applicant, January 1, 1984, Essay 1, Page 1)
Essay 1. Professional Aspirations and Fit with Stern
(500 word maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font)
a) What are your short and long-term career goals?
b) Why have you chosen to pursue your MBA on a part-time basis?
c) Earlier in your application, you indicated your Langone Part-time MBA program preferences in rank order from the choices below. Please explain your preferences.
- Manhattan - Weeknights
- Manhattan - Weekends
- Westchester - Weeknights
Essay 2. Personal Expression
Please note the following guidelines and restrictions:
- Your submission becomes the property of NYU Stern and cannot be returned for any reason.
- If you submit a written essay, it should be 500 words maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font. If you submit a video or audio file, it should be five minutes maximum.
- If you submit a non-written piece (i.e., artwork or multimedia), please provide a brief written description of your submission and its relevance to your MBA application.
- If you prepare a multimedia submission, you may mail a CD, DVD or USB flash drive to the Admissions Office. Please do not submit a link to a webpage or to a video hosting service such as YouTube. NYU Stern accepts most common video formats.
- Mailed materials must be postmarked by the application deadline date. Please follow our mail and labeling instructions.
- The Admissions Committee reserves the right to request an alternate Essay 2 if we are unable to view your submission.
- Do not submit anything perishable (e.g. food), or any item that has been worn (e.g. clothing).
- See actual applicant submissions on Poets & Quants.
|Packaging Type||Dimensions: Non-metric||Dimensions: Metric|
|Box||14" x 12" x 3"||36cm x 31cm x 8cm|
|Cylindrical tube||3" x 36"||8cm x 91cm|
|Triangular tube||38" x 6" x 6" x 6"||97cm x 16cm x 16 cm x 16 cm|
- Essay 2 is first and foremost a personal expression. We want to get to know you as an individual, beyond your college transcripts and professional achievements. This essay is not a creativity test, but rather an opportunity for you to describe yourself to your future classmates in whichever medium you feel most comfortable. Creative submissions are welcomed, but so too are written essays.
- Proofread your essays carefully.
- Make sure you have fully answered the essay questions.
- Be genuine in your essays - tell us about the real you.
- Follow the essay instructions, including word limits and font size.
Essay 3. Additional Information (optional)
Please provide any additional information that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee. This may include current or past gaps in employment, your undergraduate record, plans to retake the GMAT, GRE and/or TOEFL or any other relevant information.
If you are unable to submit a recommendation from a current supervisor, you must explain your reason in this essay, even if you are a re-applicant.
If you are a re-applicant from last year, please explain how your candidacy has improved since your last application.
You may upload documents into the standard online application in the following formats: .doc, .wpd, .rtf, .xls, .pdf, .docx, .xlxs, .txt