Our Stern essay questions give you the opportunity to more fully present yourself to the Admissions Committee and to provide insight into your experiences, goals and thought processes.
Please note the following when completing the Essays section of the application.
- Written essays must be submitted using double-spacing and 12-point font.
- Please adhere to the essay word limits provided for each question.
- Your response to Essay 1 should answer all parts of the question with a total maximum of 500 words.
- Your essays should be written entirely by you. An offer of admission will be revoked if you did not write your essays.
Essay 1. Professional Aspirations and Fit with Stern
(500 word maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font)
a) What are your short and long-term career goals?
b) Why have you chosen to pursue your MBA on a part-time basis?
c) Earlier in your application, you indicated your Langone Part-time MBA program preferences in rank order from the choices below. Please explain your preferences.
- Manhattan - Weeknights
- Manhattan - Saturday
- Manhattan - Accelerated Two-Year
- Westchester - Weeknights
Essay 2. Personal Expression
Please describe yourself to your MBA classmates. You may use almost any method to convey your message (e.g. words, illustrations). Feel free to be creative.
Please note the following guidelines and restrictions:
- Your submission becomes the property of NYU Stern and cannot be returned for any reason.
- Written Submission: The essay should be 500 words maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font.
- Video/Audio Submission: If you submit a video or audio file, it should be five minutes maximum, and the file should be uploaded to a video/audio hosting website. You must include the URL, along with a brief description of the video/audio piece, in a Word or PDF document. Do not mail a USB or DVD to our office. The Admissions Committee reserves the right to request an alternate essay if we are unable to view your submission.
- Physical Submission: If you submit a physical piece for this essay (i.e., artwork), please upload a brief description of your submission with your online application and note the following:
- Do not submit anything perishable (e.g. food), or any item that has been worn (e.g. clothing).
- Mailed materials must be postmarked by the application deadline date. Please follow our mail and labeling instructions.
|Packaging Type||Dimensions: Non-metric||Dimensions: Metric|
|Box||14" x 12" x 3"||36cm x 31cm x 8cm|
|Cylindrical tube||3" x 36"||8cm x 91cm|
|Triangular tube||38" x 6" x 6" x 6"||97cm x 16cm x 16 cm x 16 cm|
Essay 3. Additional Information (optional)
Please provide any additional information that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee. This may include current or past gaps in employment, further explanation of your undergraduate record or self-reported academic transcript(s), plans to retake the GMAT, GRE, IELTS or TOEFL or any other relevant information.
If you are a re-applicant from last year, please explain how your candidacy has improved since your last application.