A culture where every member of the NYU Stern community has a sense of belonging to the institution.
NYU Stern’s Strategic Plan for Inclusion, Diversity, Belonging & Equity affirms the campus's commitment to students, faculty, and staff to provide access, opportunity, equitable and just treatment, and advancement for all.
This commitment aligns with NYU’s mission to be a top quality international center of scholarship, teaching and research.
Our goal is to transform NYU Stern into an equitable and inclusive instituion that is a thought leader in inclusion, diversity, belonging, and equity and a best in class institution with regard to faculty, staff, and student intercultural education, development and understanding.
Strategic Plan 2019-2020
Created July 2019
EDUCATING & UPDATING OUR COMMUNITY
- First-Year Experience – In collaboration with the Business and Society Program, we will connect two first-year courses – Cohort Leadership Program and Business & Society – to extend IDBE conversations throughout the entire first year. All incoming first-year students (Undergraduate & Graduate) will complete the Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) assesment to gain insight and deepen within Intercultural Competence.
- Second-Year Experience – Through a reflective group experience during Sophomore Reorientation day, second-year students will revisit IDBE concepts and skills learned in their first-year classes so that they can continue to explore personal and social identities in their campus community.
- Social Impact Curriculum Update – Following a faculty review of our four-course Social Impact curriculum, new coursework will address the evolving priorities of businesses and our global society, such as sustainability, diversity, and social justice.
- Advisory Board – NYU Stern’s Associate Dean of Diversity and Inclusion will assume leadership of the UC IDBE Advisory Board, which will expand to include additional members of the broader NYU Stern community.
- Faculty Support – Through a combination of training, guides, and information sharing, faculty will have the information they need to create inclusive classrooms.
- Community-Wide Trainings – Led by NYU Stern’s Associate Dean of Diversity and Inclusion, trainings for faculty, staff, and students will promote an inclusive campus environment (e.g. social identity dialogue, inclusivity workshops, etc.). Various staff and administrators will complete the Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) assesment to gain insight and deepen within Intercultural Competence.
PROVIDING SUPPORT TO & ENSURING REPRESENTATION WITHIN OUR COMMUNITY
- Student Clubs and Organizations – To embed IDBE more deeply as a shared community value, clubs and organizations will be required to incorporate IDBE events each semester, and student leaders will continue to receive training and structured guidance on inclusive leadership.
- Mentorship – To support the Stern community in creating a sense of belonging for all students, we will create new avenues for students to connect with members of our broader community, such as faculty and graduate students.
- Tisch Lobby – To create a welcoming space for all students, the Tisch Hall Lobby will undergo a renovation that creates a physical space that encourages collaboration and connection, as well as a visual environment that promotes belonging and reflects our diverse community.
MONITORING POLICIES & PROCESSES
- Course Evaluations – We will explore how to measure inclusive approaches to learning in the classroom.
- NYU and Stern Collaborations – We will consult regularly with NYU Stern’s Associate Dean of Diversity and Inclusion, and will continue to work closely with colleagues at NYU and across Stern on potential process changes that could facilitate a more inclusive environment.