FAQs: Letters, Lottery & Registration, Room Assignments


Can the Office of Records & Registration provide a letter verifying my enrollment status or other related student information?

Yes, our office can provide students with an official letter verifying their enrollment or other student information. We can email you a PDF copy of the requested letter, mail a hard copy to you or a third party, or hold the letter for pick up at the NYU Stern Records & Registration office. To request a letter, please complete the Letter Request Form found here; when completed and signed this form can be sent to us via email, fax, or mailed to our office (our contact information is on the form).  Commonly requested types of letters include:
  • Enrollment Verification
  • Expected Graduation Date
  • Graduation
  • Opening a Bank Account
  • Degree Requirements Completed
  • Excusal from Jury Duty

What’s the difference between a “Verifying Degree Requirements Completed” letter and “Verifying Graduation” letter?

A letter “Verifying Degree Requirements Completed” confirms that you have completed all coursework and requirements to earn your degree, and is drafted in advance of the final posting and conferral of your degree. A letter “Verifying Graduation” can be drafted once your degree has officially been conferred and posted.

My family members need to obtain visas to the US in order to attend the NYU and Stern graduation ceremonies. Can I request a letter inviting them to those ceremonies?

Yes. Simply complete and sign the Letter Request Form, and indicate on it your family members’ full-names and their specific relation to you. We will draft a letter of invitation, which will include that information.

Lottery & Registration

What is a Lottery?

There may be some highly sought-after courses in which demand outweighs seat availability. To help minimize issues, class assignments will be done through a weighted lottery system. This system will take into consideration a student’s program and expected date of graduation. In some cases, it may also take into account the student’s specialization(s). The weighted lottery system will give all students in one cohort (e.g., with the same graduation date) an equal chance of getting into the classes they’ve chosen.

A course has no instructor listed, do you know who the professor is?

There are two reasons a course may appear unstaffed. Either the course will be taught by a new instructor who is not yet on the system or the course is truly unstaffed.

I’ve been approved to take the Michael Price Investment Fund course. Can I submit it as one of my lottery selections?

You should not put that class as one of your selections. You should come to the Office of Records and Registration in person during the add/drop period and we will manually register you for that class. Please make sure to obtain a credit overload from the Academic Affairs and Advising Office if necessary

Do I need to include by-application courses in my lottery selections?

No. Specific instructions will be e-mailed to you if you are accepted into the by-application course. However, please be aware that if the addition of the by-application course exceeds the term max credits then you will need to request a Credit Overload (full-time students) or an Acceleration of Program (Langone students) with Academic Affairs.

How do I lottery for courses in Albert?

Please refer to our Albert lottery how-to guide for step-by-step instructions.

Why am I not given an option to lottery on Albert?

Please verify your current expected graduation date. Students who have an expected graduation date for the current semester will not be able to participate in the upcoming lottery. If you need to update your graduation date, you may do so following the instructions listed here.

Another common reason why a student may not have the option to lottery is because they did not maintain matriculation for the previous semester. For details on maintaining matriculation, please contact Academic Affairs and Advising.

If neither of the above scenarios apply to you, please provide us with your N# and we will further research the issue and provide you with an update as soon as possible.

Where can I go if I need assistance in prioritizing my lottery selection? I want to know how many students are allowed in certain popular classes.

We advise students to prioritize their sections in order of preference. However, for information on maximum enrollments, our lottery hints may be helpful.

What do I do if I am trying to lottery for (2) 1.5 credit alternatives to a 3.0 credit primary; and the system is not allowing me to do so?

Unfortunately, the system cannot accommodate this request through the user-end of the lottery system. However, students may email us their selection of the (2) 1.5 credit alternatives and 3.0 credit primary and our office will manually add this to your lottery selections once lottery closes

Where do I go to obtain a listing of courses that are pre/co-requisites for other courses?

You can use the reverse course lookup tool in Albert. For instructions on how to access this feature, please refer to the user guide.

I am in the Langone Weekend Program. Can I register for weeknight classes?

Yes, you can register for weeknight classes during the Add/Drop period.

How do I switch from the Langone weekend program to the weeknight program?

Langone students will need to reach out to Academic Affairs whom will be able to assist you with making the program switch. Academic Affairs may be contacted at academicaffairs@stern.nyu.edu.

I am in the Langone Westchester Program. Can I register for Washington Square classes?

Yes, you can register for Washington Square classes during the Add/Drop period.

I’m graduating this term. When and how can I register for a “free course”?

All full-time students and Langone students who will exceed their credit maximum in the last semester must submit a request for a credit override to Academic Affairs & Advising before registering for a free course. Once approved, you can register for the class during the add/drop period on the date specified. Please note that the free class must be taken in the semester (and in conjunction with other course work) in which you complete your 60 credit requirement (51 credits for Focused MBA). Additional information regarding free course registration can be found on Advising’s website.

Can I audit a course?

Yes. For information regarding Auditing Courses, please see the Academic Affairs and Advising website.

Note: Full tuition and fees apply, and audited classes do not count toward the required degree program credits. Winter module, Late Summer module, and free courses cannot be audited. Auditor status cannot be revoked once it has been requested. An audited class cannot be taken again for credit and a grade.

How do I request a credit overload (full-time students) or an acceleration of program (Langone students)?

Please contact the Office of Academic Affairs & Advising to request a credit overload or an acceleration of program.

I am approved for a credit overload/acceleration of program, but the system does not allow me to register online. What do I do?

Please confirm with Academic Affairs & Advising that the credit overload/acceleration of program has been put onto the system. Otherwise, please let us know how many total credits you have been approved for and the class(es) you are attempting to add to your schedule.

How would I find out if the class I registered for counts toward a certain specialization?

You can find the list of specializations and the corresponding classes here. You can also contact the Office of Academic Affairs & Advising if you have any further questions.

How do I add/drop/swap courses in Albert?

Please refer to the Albert Training Guides for detailed instructions.

How do I add a course after the last add date?

If the last add date for a course has passed then you will have to petition with the Academic Policy Board (APB). For more information about this please contact Academic Affairs at 212-998-0585

I want to drop a course, however, the 100% tuition refund period and/or the last date to withdraw period has passed. What do I do?

Students will need to petition with the Academic Policy Board (APB). For more information about this please contact Academic Affairs at 212-998-0585.

I am trying to register for two intensives in which the dates do not overlap, but Albert is giving me an error message. How do I resolve this?

Please confirm that the course dates may not overlap between courses since intensive courses cannot run concurrently. If the error persists please provide us with a screenshot of the issue at registrn@stern.nyu.edu

Can I take Stern MBA classes as an Alumni? If so, how?

Yes. Please visit the Alumni Relations website to learn more about the many exciting Life Long Learning opportunities available to you.  

Room Assignments

How can I find the location of my classes?

Classroom assignments for your courses are listed on the combination schedule/Bursar receipts mailed to you after you have registered. In addition, you can find a listing of classroom assignments on our website here. Furthermore, at the beginning of the semester, classroom assignments will be posted by the elevators in the Kaufman Management Center building and Shimkin Hall, as well as the Records & Registration office bulletin board on the 6th floor of the Kaufman Management Center.