What We Do
Businesses operate in a constantly changing ecosystem: there are less resources, more stakeholders, more transparency, and a warmer climate. Business leaders need to understand how these shifts impact their business while also finding innovative solutions to sustainability challenges in order to be financially successful.
MissionNYU Stern’s Center for Sustainable Business’s (CSB) envisions a better world through better business. CSB's mission is to ensure current and future business leaders develop the knowledge and skills to embed sustainability in core business strategy so they can reduce risk; create competitive advantage; develop innovative services, products, and processes; while building value for society and protecting the planet.
CSB's mission ties directly to Stern’s vision of developing people and ideas that will transform 21st century problems into opportunities to create value for business and society.
CSB will implement its mission through three main goals:
- Ensure Stern students are well prepared to contribute value to business and society through sustainable management and practice.
- Position CSB as a thought leader in mainstreaming sustainability into corporate strategy, finance, operational efficiency, supply chain management, and consumer engagement.
- Create a best-in-class academic center that attracts employee, student, alumni, faculty, and donor support.
- Incorporate sustainability into the MBA and undergrad degrees, co-curricular platforms, experiential learning and executive courses at Stern.
- Help students pursue careers that embed sustainability in the business
- Develop and disseminate original research, targeted at improving uptake and performance of sustainable practices in key industries
- Convene thought leaders and establish relevant partnerships on critical sustainability issues to advance CSB's mission
- Build CSB organizational profile through alumni, faculty and student engagement, media outreach and development activities.