What We Do
Businesses operate in a constantly changing ecosystem: there are less resources, more stakeholders, more transparency, and a warmer climate. Business leaders need to understand how these shifts impact their business while also finding innovative solutions to sustainability challenges in order to be financially successful.
MissionNYU Stern’s Center for Sustainable Business’s (CSB) envisions a better world through better business. CSB's mission is to ensure current and future business leaders develop the knowledge and skills to address environmental and social challenges, so their business can reduce risk; create competitive advantage; develop innovative services, products, and processes; while building value for society and protecting the planet.
CSB's mission ties directly to Stern’s vision of developing people and ideas that will transform 21st century problems into opportunities to create value for business and society.
CSB will implement its mission through:
- Ensuring Stern students are well prepared to contribute value to business and society through sustainable management and practice.
- Positioning CSB as a thought leader in mainstreaming sustainability into corporate strategy, finance, operational efficiency, supply chain management, and consumer engagement.
- Deliver popular sustainability courses for undergrad, graduate and executive students. Incorporate sustainability into core.
- Develop and disseminate original research, targeted at improving uptake and performance of sustainable practices in key industries
- Build CSB organizational profile through alumni, faculty and student engagement, media outreach and development activities.
- Help students develop the skills, experience and contacts needed to pursue careers in sustainability.