Salomon Center for the Study of Financial Institutions
Founded in 1972 by a grant from the partners of Salomon Brothers, the Salomon Center specializes in the study of financial institutions, including commercial banks, investment banks, managed funds and insurance companies. Recently, the Center has played an important role in the development of the new architecture of global finance and has been instrumental in the organization of several NYU Stern School book projects: Restoring Financial Stability, Regulating Wall Street, and Guaranteed to Fail: Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and the Debacle of Mortgage Finance.
The Center helps incubate several research initiatives, each directed by an NYU Stern professor.
Research Areas include Credit & Debt Markets directed by Edward I. Altman (past FMA President), The NASDAQ OMX Derivatives Research Project directed by Stephen Figlewski (Founding Editor, Journal of Derivatives), Financial Institutions, directed by Alexander Ljungqvist. and the Financial Policy Platform, directed by Matthew Richardson.
Two earlier initiatives, still affiliated with the Center, are now on their own--Corporate Governance directed by David Yermack, in the NYU Pollack Center for Law and Business and The Volatility Institute directed by Robert F. Engle (2003 Nobel Laureate in Economics).
Upcoming Conferences & Events
- Joint NYU Stern – Federal Reserve Conference on Extracting and Understanding the Risk Neutral Probability Density from Options Prices (September 20, 2013)
- TCH-NYU Stern "Too Big to Fail" and Its Implications on Bank Funding Costs Conference (October 8, 2013)
- Derivatives 2013: The State of the Art: 40 Years after the Black-Scholes-Merton Model
(October 11, 2013)
- 2nd Macro Finance Workshop (October 25-26, 2013)
- FRBNY-NYU Stern Workshop on Bank Capital (November 1, 2013)
- Five-Star Conference on Research in Finance (December 6, 2013)
- Research Day (February 21, 2014)
- Housing- Urban-Labor-Macro (HULM) Conference (February 28-March 1, 2014)
- FRBNY-NYU Stern Conference on Financial Intermediation (May 2, 2014)
Contact the Salomon CenterNYU Stern School of Business
44 West 4th Street, Suite 9-160
New York, NY 10012
Tel: (212) 998 0700
Fax: (212) 995 4220