Business and Policy Leader Events
Leadership Luncheon Series with Stephen Sadove, Chairman & CEO of Saks
February 11, 2013
Clear communication is key to a company’s culture and its success.
As part of NYU Stern’s Leadership Luncheon Series coordinated by the Stern’s Leadership Development Team, Stephen I. Sadove, Chairman & CEO of Saks, spoke with MBA students about his career and today’s luxury retail market.
“What should you do as a leader?” asked Sadove to a packed room of MBAs, and explained leadership as two-fold in that a leader needs to create a successful company strategy as well as a successful company culture.
Sadove then answered student questions about challenges faced and lessons learned during his career, including his time at Saks. Specifically, he advised:
- Clear communication is key to a company’s culture and its success.
- A company can benefit from leadership development; encourage leaders to learn from each other.
- Always remember to keep relationships with the people you come across throughout your career.
Read more about past Leadership Luncheon Series events:
- Stephen Sadove, chairman and CEO, Saks
- Sharon Allen, former chairman, Deloitte
- Jeff Zucker, former president and CEO, NBC Universal
- Tony Alvarez, co-founder, Alvarez & Marsal LLC
- Bill Drayton, founder and CEO, Ashoka
- Mike Indursky (MBA ’90), president, Bliss World Holdings Inc.
- Mary Ellen Iskenderian, president and CEO, Women’s World Banking
- Larry Silverstein (ARTS ’52), president and CEO, Silverstein Properties