Applying to Study Abroad
The application period for study abroad takes place once yearly, from mid-February through April. Please see the semester abroad timeline for the most recent deadlines.
- Students submit an online application in February/March for study abroad the following Fall or Spring semester.
- The application consists of two short-answer questions, a link to upload a current resume, and an area to rank up to three choices from among the participating exchange partners.
- As this is an annual planning process, there is no advantage to applying for Fall or Spring; each student will be considered for one semester at their first choice location.
- Completing an application is not an obligation to the program. It is only once students have signed a contract and submitted a $1000 non-refundable deposit that they are viewed as having a firm commitment to study abroad.
- After submitting an online application, each student will have a one-on-one interview with a member of MBA Academic Affairs.
- These interviews discuss past experiences, current goals, and help us determine if each candidate is a suitable ambassador of Stern.
- Candidates will be ranked upon the following criteria: Maturity, Commitment to Global Business, Knowledge of School and Country/Region, Alignment with Current Academic and Future Professional Goals, Cultural Adaptability, and Previous Academic Performance.
- Once all interviews have been conducted, MBA Academic Affairs will review all applications and make final placement decisions.
- Our goal is to place every student in their first choice location. If students are not accepted to their first choice we make every attempt to place them in their second choice location.
- The committee will review each candidate based upon study abroad application responses, professional experience, past academic performance, and interview content.
- Students should be aware that some schools may have more applicants than seats available.
- Students are contacted via email with their status: accepted or waitlisted.
- Accepted students have approximately two weeks to secure their placement into the program by signing a contract and submitting a $1000 non-refundable deposit.
- Waitlisted students will be provided a list of currently open programs and the opportunity to select another location, or the option to remain on the waitlist for their first choice school. The waitlist will be ranked according to each candidates' ranking in the interview process.