Dodd-Frank Shows Teeth on First Birthday
By Roy Smith, Kenneth Langone Professor of Entrepreneurship and Finance & Professor of Management Practice
As Dodd-Frank approaches its first anniversary this month, some things have been done but there is much still to do.
The Financial Stability Oversight Council has now been established and met five times. It has issued policy papers on systemically important non-banks and exchanges, using rules that limit trading. The Federal Reserve has cleared its decks for its role in supervising systemically important banks, and the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, well behind schedule, are frantically writing rules to implement the 2,200-page law.
What has not yet been done includes appointing the director of consumer financial protection, a head of the Treasury’s new office of financial research, and filing several other important regulatory positions. The Fed has not yet identified which the “systemically important” non-banks are, what the “enhanced” capital requirements (beyond Basel III) for systemically important banks and non-banks will be, or what limits will be imposed on trading for marketmaking purposes. The controversial new rules on derivatives, due this month, have been put off until the end of the year.
Read full article as published in the Financial News.
More Opinions from Roy Smith
- "Sanity Needed When Punishing Finance Misdeeds," 12.2.13
- "A Light Bulb Moment for Bankers," 9.23.13
- "Investors Gain the Ear of the Listening Banks," 6.3.13
- "Make No Mistake, Size Matters with Systemic Risk," 5.6.13
- "Prosecutors Need Lessons in Spotting a Financial Avalanche," 2.11.13
- "The Ideal Christmas Gift for Mark Carney," 12.17.12
- "Wall Street Survives One Storm But Now Faces Another," 11.12.12
- "At last, Citi’s board takes over," 10.18.12
- "Dodd-Frank will test both Romney and Obama," 10.8.12
- "Barclays must address the strategic dilemma," 8.13.12
- "Time for Europe-wide FDIC Fund – and Quick," 6.18.12
- "Shadowland Will Take Care of JP Morgan," 5.28.12
- "Once and Future Investment Banks," 5.4.12
- "S-factor Spotlights Banks’ High Systemic Risk," 4.16.12
- "Bold Action Needed Over Bank of America," 3.5.12
- "Pandit Should Learn a Lesson from Reed," 1.9.12
- "Careful Where You Cut, a Bonanza Awaits," 11.14.11
- "Dimon’s Bank Can Ride a Storm of Rules," 10.17.11
- "Break Up the Banks, Even Goldman," 9.5.11
- "Dodd-Frank Shows Teeth on First Birthday," 7.4.11