Dimon’s Bank Can Ride a Storm of Rules
By Roy Smith, Kenneth Langone Professor of Entrepreneurship and Finance & Professor of Management Practice
Between the Basel Committee and the supporters of the Swiss Finish, Dodd-Frank, and the Vickers Report, there is little chance that the big banks are going to be let off the hook to any meaningful degree.
Jamie Dimon has been getting a lot of attention lately for his impassioned bashing of Basel III as too tight on capital terms and too loose on risk standards for European banks. Had he been more diplomatic, probably no one would have listened.
Dimon believes that the world needs large, complex banks like JP Morgan Chase, which survived the crisis intact, to pull the world economy out of its slump; but even JP Morgan is in danger of being eviscerated by over-eager, ill-informed regulators performing a politically correct purification ritual well after the crisis.
He has a point; in fact, two good ones.
Read full article as published in Financial News.
More Opinions from Roy Smith
- "Sanity Needed When Punishing Finance Misdeeds," 12.2.13
- "A Light Bulb Moment for Bankers," 9.23.13
- "Investors Gain the Ear of the Listening Banks," 6.3.13
- "Make No Mistake, Size Matters with Systemic Risk," 5.6.13
- "Prosecutors Need Lessons in Spotting a Financial Avalanche," 2.11.13
- "The Ideal Christmas Gift for Mark Carney," 12.17.12
- "Wall Street Survives One Storm But Now Faces Another," 11.12.12
- "At last, Citi’s board takes over," 10.18.12
- "Dodd-Frank will test both Romney and Obama," 10.8.12
- "Barclays must address the strategic dilemma," 8.13.12
- "Time for Europe-wide FDIC Fund – and Quick," 6.18.12
- "Shadowland Will Take Care of JP Morgan," 5.28.12
- "Once and Future Investment Banks," 5.4.12
- "S-factor Spotlights Banks’ High Systemic Risk," 4.16.12
- "Bold Action Needed Over Bank of America," 3.5.12
- "Pandit Should Learn a Lesson from Reed," 1.9.12
- "Careful Where You Cut, a Bonanza Awaits," 11.14.11
- "Dimon’s Bank Can Ride a Storm of Rules," 10.17.11
- "Break Up the Banks, Even Goldman," 9.5.11
- "Dodd-Frank Shows Teeth on First Birthday," 7.4.11