Research Center Events
Global Experts Convene for NYU Stern’s Volatility Institute Conference 2012
— April 27, 2012
Leading academics and practitioners gathered for a conference on “Co-movement of Volatilities, Returns and Tails,” this spring, organized by Stern’s Volatility Institute, led by Nobel Laureate and Professor Robert Engle.
Nobel Laureate & Professor Robert Engle, director of Stern’s Volatility Institute (left), and Bennett W. Golub, chief risk officer of BlackRock, Inc. (right)
Program highlights included:
- A keynote address from Bennett W. Golub, chief risk officer of BlackRock, Inc., on “Managing Risk in a Complex Environment”
- An update from Professor Engle, director of Stern’s Volatility Institute, on the V-Lab’s global systemic risk rankings
- A panel discussion with Ken Kroner of BlackRock, Malcolm Knight of Deutsche Bank, Peter Christoffersen of the Rotman School of Management and Victor Ng of Goldman Sachs, who shared their perspectives on co-movements. The discussion was moderated by Stern Professor Viral Acharya (pictured at top left).
- NYU Stern Professor Stephen Figlewski (pictured below) kicked off the event, presenting his co-authored research with Professor Engle, on “Modeling the Dynamics of Correlations Among Implied Volatilities.”
- Scholars from organizations and schools around the world, including NYU Stern, the Federal Reserve Board, Columbia University, Duke University, USC Marshall and the Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management, presented their latest field research.