Choosing Your RecommenderOne letter of recommendation is required as part of the Advanced Professional Certificate (APC) application. Please note the following guidelines when choosing your recommender:
- The Admissions Committee encourages applicants to have their current supervisor submit the letter of recommendation. If you do not have a current supervisor or do not wish to have your current supervisor submit the letter, you will be able to explain the circumstances in the online application.
- If your current supervisor is not submitting the letter of recommendation, please choose an individual who can objectively assess your professional performance and your potential for success in the APC program.
- Recommendations from family members, family friends and close friends are discouraged.
Your recommender will be asked to rate you on a number of professional abilities and qualities, as well as provide an answer to these two questions:
- How long have you known the applicant and in what capacity?
- Share your comments on the applicant’s strengths, areas for development and interpersonal skills.
Your recommender may answer these questions in the recommendation form or by uploading a Word or PDF document.
Instructions for Submitting the Recommendation
Recommendations Must be Submitted Online
- You will be prompted to enter your recommender’s information via the “Add Recommender” function in the Recommendations section of the application.
- Once you enter a recommender’s information, he or she will receive an email notification and instructions for completing the recommendation.
- There are instructions in the application for sending reminders to your recommender, if needed.
Exceptions to the Online Recommendation
- If your recommender cannot submit an online recommendation, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org to explain the circumstances and request approval for your recommender to submit a paper recommendation.
- If your recommender cannot complete a recommendation in English, he or she will need to complete a paper recommendation, following the instructions above, and have it translated into English. A certified English translation through a translating service must be obtained and submitted in a sealed envelope with the original recommendation, endorsed across the seal.