NYU-SPONSORED STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE PROGRAM
LEONARD N. STERN SCHOOL OF BUSINESS - GRADUATE STUDENTS
Since New York University requires students to have health insurance that meets certain standards, most students are enrolled automatically in one of several NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plans as part of the course registration process. Students may change their selection from one optional University-sponsored plan to another, or waive coverage entirely if they have alternative coverage that meets the University’s criteria. Following is a brief overview of the NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance Program to help guide students through the Enrollment/Waiver process.
The NYU Student Health Insurance Program consists of the health services provided to all matriculated students, and the optional NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plans.
All matriculated NYU students receive health services provided at SHC (and limited coverage outside) as part of the registration process. These services, which cannot be waived, provide many health-related services at no or low cost including:
- Primary care and women’s health office visits, counseling visits and commonly performed laboratory tests at SHC, located at 726 Broadway
- Limited health insurance coverage for treatment of accidents at hospital emergency rooms as well as 30 mental health outpatient visits per year
- Treatment of dental emergencies through the NYU Dental Faculty Practice
The Basic Plan and Comprehensive Plan provide worldwide coverage for medically necessary healthcare services including hospitalization, laboratory tests, prescriptions, radiology services, physician visits, mental health visits and medical evacuation and repatriation, in addition to the services provided to all matriculated students at SHC. Students seeking services in Manhattan must first seek treatment at SHC.
Stern School of Business graduate students are enrolled as follows:
- International Students in F-1 or J-1 Status (any number of credits, degree and non-degree) are enrolled automatically in the Comprehensive Plan, but may select the Basic Plan or Waiver Option.
- Full-time Graduate students registered in a degree-granting program for 12 or more credits are enrolled automatically in the Basic Plan, but may select the Comprehensive Plan or Waiver Option.
- Graduate students registered in a degree-granting program for less than 12 credits are not enrolled automatically, but may select the Basic Plan or Comprehensive Plan.
- Students registered in the Langone Program are not enrolled automatically, but may select the Basic Plan or Comprehensive Plan.
- Students registered in a non-degree granting program are not eligible and are not enrolled in any plan.
Students who wish to change their automatic insurance enrollment to another option, add insurance, or wish to waive the optional NYU-sponsored insurance entirely, must complete the online Enrollment/Waiver process via the Student Health Insurance website at www.nyu.edu/health/insurance by the appropriate deadline shown below. (The online system for Spring 2015 will be available beginning November 12th.)
If you choose to waive you still may utilize the Student Health Center.
Deadlines: Fall Term – September 30; Spring Term – February 10; Summer Term – June 5
For more information, you may visit our website atwww.nyu.edu/health/insurance or contact SHC Student
Health Insurance Services at (212) 443-1020 or via e-mail email@example.com