Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

How many credits am I allowed to take?

You are required to enroll in 12-18 credits which equates to four to five courses. You must be enrolled in at least 12 credits to be considered full-time and fulfill your visa requirements.

What subjects can I study at NYU Stern? Do you have any course descriptions online?

Subject areas include: Accounting, Actuarial Science, Economics, Finance, Information Systems, Global Business, Management and Organizations, Marketing, Operations and Statistics. Once you are nominated to NYU Stern, you will be provided with a complete list of updated course offerings and timetables. Please note that some courses may be subject to restrictions and are not open to exchange students. Please see the IBEX Academics section for more information.

For a list of course offerings, credit hours, and pre-requisite requirements, you should consult the Stern Bulletin and Course Index, as well as the College of Arts and Science (CAS) Bulletin. You may use the Albert Course Search to view course offerings by semester. 

What is the classroom setting like and how will I be assessed?

Class Format: Combination of lecture, group projects and experiential learning.

Grading: A (highest grade), A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, F (failing)

Class Size: Varies from 45 to 100 students depending on the subject.

Can I take classes outside of NYU Stern?

You may enroll in one course outside of Stern. This non-business class can be taken from the College of Arts and Science (CAS). For information on non-business courses, visit the respective schools and departments listed on NYU's website.

Exceptions will only be made for students taking Economics classes. Our Economics courses are taught between Stern and CAS, and you may take a maximum of two Economics classes while on exchange. Economics classes can either be both at Stern, both at CAS or one from Stern and one from CAS. If you select two Economics classes from CAS, the remainder of your courses must be taken at Stern.

Will I be guaranteed housing?

NYU housing is not guaranteed due to the high demand on campus, particularly for the Fall semester. If on-campus housing is not available, NYU will provide you with alternate short-term housing information to aid your search. Visit our Housing and Living page or the NYU Housing site for additional information.  

Can I change or cancel my health insurance plan?

You are required to maintain health insurance and will be automatically enrolled in and billed for the NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance Comprehensive Plan. Please see the Housing and Living page for more information on health insurance while at NYU Stern.  

How long am I allowed to stay in the United States after my semester has finished?

On J1 visa status, you are allowed to stay up to 30 days after you have taken your last final.

Can I work or get an internship while studying at Stern?

Yes, it is possible to work or obtain an internship. However, we recommend becoming involved in student clubs and activities if you have free time in your academic schedule. For more information on this subject please refer to the Office of Global Services website.

Are there any safety issues I should be aware of at NYU?

Please visit NYU Campus Safety for more information.