MBA Students

In order to work as a Teaching Fellow, Graduate Fellow, or Grader/Tutor, you must have completed 9 or more credits as a Stern MBA student, have a GPA of at least 3.0, and be enrolled in the semester which you plan to work. Full-time and Part-time employees of NYU are not eligible to hold Teaching Fellow or Graduate Fellow positions. Please note that once your application has been approved by the Teaching Assistance Center, your pay will not be amended due to an increase or decrease in the course enrollment.

Visit the Job Listings page to apply for positions.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I contact the Department Coordinator?

You can find the designated Coordinator's contact information by going to the Department site and selecting the Faculty & Staff tab.

What is the process of getting hired as a TF or GF?

If you have not already been hired by a Professor and are looking for available positions, you may apply to a listed position on the main Student Jobs page.  If you have already been selected as a TF/GF by a Professor or Department, you should select the 'apply for an unlisted position' option on the main Student Jobs page to submit an application. Selection processes vary by Department, so specific questions about the inital hiring process should be directed to the Department coordinator.  

How do I find the course number, credit load, and current enrollment for the course I will be a TF?

Please contact the Department Coordinator for this information.

Who should I contact with questions about my application?

Please contact your Department Coordinator first.

For questions about showing hiring documents to Human Resources, please contact Pauline Braz at

How am I getting paid?

You will receive tuition remission unless; (1) you are 100% scholarship/sponsored, (2) you have exceeded the amount of tuition remission allowed. These 2 exceptions will be paid through payroll in Human Resources.

What is the amount of compensation?

Compensation for TF/GF positions varies depending on appointment. Payment is also dependent on enrollment, course credit load, and other factors. Please see contract for more details. Graders are paid $24.00 per student with a minimum of 25 students. Tutors are paid $24.00/hour.

Teaching Fellow--Graduate Student Compensation
Position Half Credit Course Full Credit Course
0.5 (enrollment of 25-49) $900 $1800
1 (enrollment of 50-84) $1800 $3600
1.5 (enrollment of 85-119) $3600 $5400
2 (MAX 2 full positions)   $7200

Graduate Fellow Compensation
Hours per week for 14 weeks GF Eligibility Rate
5 0.5 position $1800
10 1 position $3600
15 1.5 positions $5400
20 2 positions $7200

Can a position be terminated?

Your employment is at will, which means that you or NYU can terminate your employment at any time, with or without cause. NYU can also withdraw or rescind this offer at any time prior to the commencement of work without restriction.

What if I am receiving student loans?

Your compensation is processed as tuition remission, Financial Aid will simply reduce the amount of your loans, or you will receive a reimbursement check from the Bursar's Office. Contact Financial Aid at 212-998-0790 for more information.

Can I have more than one TF or GF position at the same time?

Yes. However, a student may not exceed 20 hours of work per week during the semester.

What are the rules for Summer positions?

You may work up to 1 full position (10 hours per week) per summer term which includes Summer I,II, and III. 
Jobs are open to Stern May graduates, except for May graduates who are international students. May graduates may not continue past August 31st.

Are all courses eligible for a full teaching fellowship?

No. Position and compensation are based on enrollment and course credit load.

Can a teaching fellow receive additional compensation for private tutoring?

No. Students may not make independent arrangements for additional compensation to tutor students in the class to which they are assigned as a TF. Petitions for exceptions to this policy must be accompanied by the following, submitted in writing by the instructor: (1) A complete description of the TF's responsibilities (2) A guarantee that the TF will not be engaged in any interpretive assessment of student work.

I am an international student, can I work?

International students who either have a green card or hold an F-1 visa are eligible to work. If you hold any other visa, such as an H-1B, you cannot cannot work.
International students that have graduated are not allowed to work.