You are required to submit two recommendations with your application.
- Professional recommendations are strongly preferred.
- One recommendation must come from your current supervisor. If you cannot include a recommendation from your current supervisor, you must provide an explanation in the Professional section of the online application.
- Recommendations should come from individuals who can objectively assess your professional performance and your potential for success in Stern's MBA program and in your future career.
- Recommendations from family members, family friends and close friends are discouraged.
- Submitting more than two recommendations is not encouraged but is allowed. Please carefully consider whether additional recommendations add value and a unique perspective to your application.
Your recommenders will be asked to rate you on a number of professional abilities and qualities, as well as provide an answer to these four questions:
- How long have you known the applicant and in what capacity?
- How do the candidate's performance, potential, background, or personal qualities compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? Please provide specific examples.
- Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response.
- How would you describe the applicant's interpersonal skills?
Recommendations must be submitted online
- You will be prompted to enter your recommenders' information via the "Add Recommender" function in the Recommendations section of the application.
- Once you enter a recommender's information, he or she will receive an email notification and instructions for completing the recommendation.
- There are instructions in the application for sending reminders to your recommenders, if needed.
Exceptions to the online recommendation
- If your recommender cannot submit an online recommendation, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org to explain the circumstances and request approval for your recommender to submit a paper recommendation.
- If your recommender cannot complete a recommendation in English, he or she will need to complete a paper recommendation, following the instructions above, and have it translated into English. A certified English translation through a translating service must be obtained and submitted in a sealed envelope with the original recommendation, endorsed across the seal.