Professional RecommendationsChoosing Your Recommenders
- You are required to submit two professional recommendations with your application.
- One recommendation must come from your current supervisor. If you cannot include a recommendation from your current supervisor, you must provide an explanation in the optional essay in the online application.
- Recommendations should come from individuals who can objectively assess your professional performance and your potential for success in NYU Stern's MBA program and in your future career.
- Professional recommendations are strongly preferred.
- Recommendations from family members, family friends and close friends are discouraged.
- Submitting more than two recommendations is not encouraged but is allowed. Please carefully consider whether additional recommendations add significant value and a new and unique perspective to your application.
Professional Recommendation Questions
Your recommenders will be asked to rate you on a number of professional abilities and qualities, as well as provide an answer to these four questions:
- Please provide a brief description of your interaction with the applicant and, if applicable, the applicant's role in your organization.
- How does the applicant's performance compare to that of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? Please provide specific examples. (E.g. what are the applicant's principal strengths?)
- Describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response.
- (Optional) Is there anything else we should know?
Your recommenders may answer these questions in the recommendation form or by uploading a Word or PDF document.
Recommendations must be submitted online
- If your recommender cannot submit an online recommendation, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org to explain the circumstances and request approval for your recommender to submit a paper recommendation.
- If your recommender cannot complete a recommendation in English, he or she will need to complete a paper recommendation, following the instructions above, and have it translated into English. A certified English translation through a translating service must be obtained and submitted in a sealed envelope with the original recommendation, endorsed across the seal.