Share / Print

Financial Aid

How to Use Your Financial Aid to Pay Your Tuition

You must complete the mandatory Tuition & Fees Payment Worksheet as this form shows the Bursar how you plan to pay for your tuition. Your registration is not complete without this form.

Please read the following information before you fill out the Tuition & Fees Payment Worksheet.

There are several types of financial aid that can be used towards the payment of your tuition charges each semester:
  • Federal Unsubsidized Loan
  • Federal Graduate PLUS Loan
  • Teaching/Graduate Fellowships
  • Private Loan
Please read the following information to determine which type of financial aid you have and indicate it on the Tuition & Fess Payment Worksheet.

Federal Unsubsidized Loan

If you are certified as eligible for a Federal Unsubsidized Loan, a credit for the semester portion of the loan will be available in your Bursar account. To be eligible, you must be at least half-time (a minimum of six credits per semester). This credit will enable you to register without the actual loan receipt of the proceeds, (which occurs about ten days before the start of your first class in any semester).

Federal Graduate PLUS Loan

You may only include the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan as part of your payment if you have been approved for the loan by the Department of Education. Do not include the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan unless you have received a credit approval notice via email from the Department of Education.

Teaching/Graduate Fellowships

If you have been hired as a teaching/graduate fellow for a department, you must complete a contract AND RETURN TO: Teaching Assistance Center, KMC 7th floor, Room 7-100. The Bursar Office cannot extend you credit unless your contract has been approved by the Teaching Assistance Center.  Please indicate on line #5 of the Tuition & Fees Payment Worksheet the amount you are receiving. 

Private Loan

You may only include a private loan as part of your payment if you have been approved for the loan by both the Stern Financial Aid Office and the private lender.  Do not include any private loan sources unless you have received an approval notice from the lender.  If a paper loan check is received, you will be emailed by the Stern Bursar to come and endorse your student loan check.

Please Note:

If you receive additional financial aid after you have already settled your account with the Bursar's Office, you must notify the Bursar's Office of the additional funds to your account.