The Stern School of Business of New York University offers one of the finest Ph.D. programs in accounting in the world. The curriculum is designed to provide a thorough understanding of current accounting theory, practice and research, taught within the framework of modern economic and finance theories as applied to the behavior of today’s corporations and financial markets.
Our Ph.D. students take extensive coursework in economics, finance, econometrics and statistics in addition to accounting. Students are entitled to take courses at Stern as well as other schools within the University such as the Arts and Sciences Graduate School of Economics and NYU’s famous Courant Institute of Mathematics. Our objective is to prepare students for faculty positions as researchers and teachers in top academic institutions.
- Stern’s accounting faculty has a wide range of research interests and continuously publishes works in all major academic accounting research journals such as the Journal of Accounting Research, Journal of Accounting and Economics, the Accounting Review, the Review of Accounting Studies, and Contemporary Accounting Research. Furthermore, Stern’s accounting faculty has published in such major Finance journals as the Journal of Finance, the Journal of Financial
- Economics, and the Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis.
- The Department boasts a large and diverse body of Ph.D. students, who assist faculty with research projects early on in their doctoral program and often become co-authors to papers published in prestigious accounting journals.
- The admissions process is a rigorous one and important criteria are: an interest in doing research and teaching in accounting, strong quantitative skills, and an ability to communicate effectively. There are no formal education requirements other than possession of a bachelor's degree - an MBA is not required.
- The quality of our Ph.D. program (ranked 7th in the United States by U.S. News and World Report) manifests itself by, among other things, our success in placing our graduates.