Business and Policy Leader Events
Jacob Silverman, President of Duff & Phelps, Shares Career Tips with MBA Students
— December 2, 2013
As part of NYU Stern’s “Leadership Off the Record” series, Jacob Silverman, who was recently appointed president of Duff & Phelps, a financial advisory and investment banking firm, spoke with MBA students about his career in finance and technology. A self-proclaimed “deal maker,” Silverman described his professional journey including stints as a financial analyst on Wall Street and as CFO of an Internet software start-up. He also shared several lessons-learned:
- Find mentors and stick with them.
- Take professional risks and remember that it’s easier to take risks when you’re starting out and you have little to lose.
- Beware of corporate speak or “double speak.”
- Management is a full-time job. Motivating and leading teams can be challenging.
- Listening is key! Employees who don’t feel heard become demotivated and oftentimes demoralized.
- Don’t underestimate the importance of succession planning and creating career paths for your employees.
- Learn how to be effective in both hiring and firing employees.