International Students

International students represent a vital component of the NYU Stern community. For employers, international students add a valuable global perspective and bring much-needed diversity and cultural richness to the workplace.

The information in this section is designed not just for those students who are here at Stern on a student visa, but for all students who may be new to the U.S. job market.
Networking and American Culture
As you move through the IGNITE program, you will learn that networking and casual conversation are just as important as your resume and professional skills when it comes to securing a job offer. Many international students are unfamiliar with the American style of networking, and may not feel confident in their ability to make small talk with classmates, recruiters, and Stern alumni.

To address these concerns, the Office of Career Development hosts a networking workshop for international students each fall. Be sure to check your email this fall for more information .
In addition, NYU offers weekly conversation groups each semester for non-native English speakers who would like to practice their English conversation skills.
U.S. Work Authorization
If you hold a student visa (e.g., F-1 or J-1), you will need to obtain legal work authorization before starting a paid off-campus job  in the United States, whether part-time or full-time.
Most international students at Stern hold an F-1 visa, and will need to pursue Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for internships and Optional Practical Training (OPT) for full-time positions. Students who hold a J-1 visa may obtain Academic Training.

The NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) holds weekly office hours and will also conduct training sessions during the school year to help you understand more about the process for obtaining work authorization. In addition, the Office of Career Development (OCD) hosts an annual workshop with an immigration law firm, during which you will learn more about U.S. work visas (e.g., H-1B), which you must typically obtain after your first 12 months of work in the United States.

Be sure to check your email for important announcements regarding these topics.
Company Sponsorship
During the course of recruiting, you will learn that some U.S.-based job opportunities are limited to students who hold permanent U.S. work authorization.

There are many reasons why companies make the decision to limit job opportunities to U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents, but it is important to note that these policies are always subject to change. Some companies are willing to make exceptions for an international student with the right combination of skills and experiences.

With this in mind, the Office of Career Development will never prevent you from attending a corporate recruiting presentation or applying to a job, even if the company expresses a preference for domestic candidates.
Additional Resources for International Students
In your Career Account, you will find a special section within your Career Resource Hub that contains resources for international students. Select ‘International’ from the drop-down menu to find these resources.