The online Master of Science in Quantitative Management (MSQM) is open to applicants with any undergraduate major from across the United States and around the world. It serves individuals with diverse educational and professional backgrounds and business interests. The program’s leading-edge curriculum in business foundations and analytics is designed to prepare you for success in today’s digitally-driven business landscape.
|Upcoming Start Date|
|August 9, 2021|
The Admissions Committee accepts applications and issues notifications on a rolling basis throughout the year. Since the number of spaces available in the program is limited, we advise you to begin the admissions process as soon as you are ready. Applications are evaluated by the same criteria regardless of which deadline you apply by.
Within eight weeks of application receipt, the Admissions Committee will email one of the following notifications: offer of admission, interview invitation, waitlist offer, or denial of admission. We cannot, however, guarantee notification within eight weeks of the application deadline if your application is incomplete.
The Admissions Committee makes the majority of online MSQM program admission decisions without an interview. Interviews are available to candidates by invitation only. Interviews may be conducted virtually or in person. It typically takes up to three weeks to receive a post-interview decision.
NYU Stern evaluates each online MSQM candidate holistically across three dimensions: academic profile, achievements and aspirations, and personal characteristics. We seek students who demonstrate strong intellectual ability, superior interpersonal skills, and a desire to create value for business and society.
The online MSQM Admissions Committee looks forward to reviewing your application!
Application Instructions and Admission Policies
The information on this page summarizes the MSQM admissions process and requirements. If you plan to submit an application, we strongly advise you to carefully review the Application Instructions and Admission Policies dropdown below for critically important details about successfully applying to the online MSQM program.
Friday, November 20th (Priority Scholarship Deadline)
Friday, January 15th
Monday, March 15th
Friday, May 14th
Online applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time on the day of the deadline. Any mailed application material must be postmarked by the deadline date.
Applications are reviewed and admissions decisions are given on an ongoing basis throughout the admissions cycle. We recommend submitting your application earlier in the cycle as admission becomes more competitive throughout the year.
Please check your Status Page to ensure that your application is complete. If you do not provide a completed application by the deadline, your notification may be delayed.
Please allow up to 8 weeks after the deadline or the date your application is complete, whichever is later, for the Admissions Committee to send your notification.
Notification possibilities are as follows:
- Offer of admission
- Interview invitation
- Waitlist offer
- Denial of admission
All decisions made by the Admissions Committee are final.
The Admissions Committee conducts a limited number of selection interviews for MSQM applicants. Interviews are available by invitation only and are not required for admission. Interviews are conducted virtually and typically last 15-30 minutes. If the Admissions Committee invites you to interview, you will receive the invitation and scheduling information via email. The interview is evaluative and provides the Admissions Committee with more information on your qualifications, career goals, and personal characteristics. After the interview, it typically takes up to three weeks to receive a decision.
Students entering NYU Stern’s MSQM program are required to hold a four-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. or an equivalent degree from a school in a foreign country.
If you submit your application prior to the conferral of your bachelor’s degree or equivalent, we will accept and evaluate your application. If an offer of admission is made, it will be contingent upon graduating from your undergraduate program prior to the first day of class.
GMAT, GRE or GMAC Executive Assessment
While the GMAT, GRE, or GMAC Executive Assessment exams are optional for the MSQM program, we encourage applicants to submit scores if they believe it will strengthen their applications or their academic and professional records do not provide sufficient evidence of their quantitative, verbal, and reasoning abilities.
If you will not be submitting a test score, please provide a supplemental essay in which you explain how your academic and professional experience provide evidence of your quantitative, verbal, and reasoning abilities.
Stern has no preference for the GMAT, GRE or GMAC Executive Assessment, feel free to take any test.
Applicants who wish to submit alternative standardized test results in lieu of or in addition to the GMAT, GRE, or GMAC Executive Assessment should contact email@example.com with their request.
Scores are valid for five years from the date that you took the test and must be valid at the time that you submit your application. You are responsible for including your test score on the online application and ensuring that Pearson VUE or ETS is able to release and send your official score report to NYU Stern. Stern’s GMAT and GMAC Executive Assessment reporting code is 5TF-HW-27. Stern’s GRE reporting code is 4469. While an official test score is required for a final decision, the Admissions Committee can begin the review of your application with an unofficial test score.
If you plan to retake the GMAT, GRE or GMAC Executive Assessment after applying, you must inform the Admissions Committee of the date you intend to take the test in the optional essay or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Admissions Committee will proceed with the evaluation of your application using your submitted score and may issue a decision prior to receiving additional test scores.
NYU Stern has no minimum GMAT, GRE or GMAC Executive Assessment score requirement. For applicants who took the test more than once, the Admissions Committee considers only the test with the highest total score.
Admitted students with Writing Assessment scores below 4.0 on the GMAT or GRE on which they received their highest total score and who have not passed an approved business writing course since their offer of admission will be required to take Stern’s Business Writing course prior to the start of classes and pass it by the end of the first semester.
If you do not submit an analytical writing test score with your application or show proof of having taken and passed an approved business writing course since your offer of admission, you will be required to take a free, 30-minute analytical writing assessment administered by NYU Stern. Should you not pass the assessment, you will be required to take Stern’s Business Writing course prior to the start of classes and pass it by the end of the first semester.
English Language Test Scores
Mastery of English is required for NYU Stern programs. If your native language is not English, you must demonstrate your level of proficiency in English in at least one of the following ways:
- Your undergraduate or graduate degree was taught in English
- You have a TOEFL score of at least 100
- You have an IELTS score of at least 7
- You have an iTEP score of at least 4.5
- You have a Duolingo score of at least 120
- You have a PTE score of at least 68
Scores are valid for two years from the date you took the test and must be valid at the time you submit your application. You are responsible for including your TOEFL, IELTS, iTEP, Duolingo, or PTE scores in the online application and ensuring that your official score report can be released and sent to NYU Stern. While an official test score is required for a final decision, the Admissions Committee can begin the review of your application with an unofficial test score. Please use the following information to send us your official scores:
- TOEFL: Use reporting code C436
- IELTS: Use reporting name New York University – MBA and Graduate Admissions
- iTEP: Use reporting name New York University Stern School of Business
- Please search “Stern” and filter by “Graduate” program in the right dropdown in the list of institutions.
- Select “New York University Stern School of Business” to send scores.
- PTE: Use reporting code 06N-NF
For applicants who took the test more than once, the Admissions Committee considers only the test with the highest total score taken within two years of the application deadline for which you apply.
If you plan to retake the TOEFL, IELTS, iTEP, Duolingo, or PTE assessments after applying, please use the optional essay to inform the Admissions Committee of the date you intend to take the test. The Admissions Committee will proceed with the evaluation of your application using your submitted score, and may issue a decision prior to receiving additional test scores.
Background, Activities & Achievements
Please provide us with an up-to-date résumé that includes your education and employment history.
Post-college work experience is not required to apply. If you do not have post-college work experience, please include information on any internships and part-time employment in your résumé and provide thorough answers to the application questions about activities and achievements. If your employment status changes after you apply, you must provide an updated résumé.
Stern essay questions give you the opportunity to present yourself more fully to the Admissions Committee.
- Essays must be typed and double-spaced, in 12-point font.
- Each essay should be a maximum of 500 words.
- Label the top of each essay with the following: Name, Date of Birth (month, day, year), Essay Number and Page Number.
- Your essays should be written entirely by you. An offer of admission will be revoked if we find you did not write your essays.
Essay 1 (500 word maximum)
Discuss your objectives for pursuing this degree. What role do you expect the program and degree to play in your career?
Essay 2 (optional) (500 word maximum)
Option 1: Please provide any additional information that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee. This may include further explanation of your undergraduate record or transcript(s), plans to retake a standardized test, and any other relevant information.
Option 2: If you will not be submitting a test score, please provide a supplemental essay in which you explain how your academic and professional experience provide evidence of your quantitative, verbal, and reasoning abilities.
Applicants must submit transcripts from any institution from which they have received academic credit.
There are two options for submitting an unofficial transcript via the online application:
Please take care to record your grades accurately. The Admissions Committee reserves the right to withdraw an offer of admission at any time, prior to or after enrolling, if there is any discrepancy between the scanned/self-reported transcript and the official transcript.
If your original transcript is not in English, you must use the Self-Reported Transcript Form.
Instructions for Using the Self-Reported Transcript Form
- List the name and course number of each course exactly as it appears on your official transcript. If your transcript is not in English, provide an accurate English translation of the course title.
- List the grade or mark for each course exactly as it appears on your official transcript. Do not reinterpret grades or convert grades to a different scale.
- Include courses taken that do not contribute to your overall score/grade (e.g. classes that were dropped, withdrawn from, incomplete, taken pass/fail, taken more than once, etc.)
- Carefully match the courses taken with the appropriate semester/term dates, exactly as they appear on your official transcript. Include terms for any summer, winter, transfer, exchange, or study abroad courses.
- If you are in the process of completing a degree, please include the names of any courses in which you are currently enrolled and note them as “in progress.”
NOTE: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the Self-Reported Transcript Form.
Before submitting an application, all applicants are required to acknowledge the admission policies outlined and electronically sign the Statement of Certification. The latter includes agreement with the spirit of the NYU Code of Conduct and your understanding that a) NYU Stern reserves the right to contact appropriate sources to ensure the accuracy of all the information you have provided, and b) any items submitted to NYU Stern in conjunction with your application become the sole property of NYU Stern and will not be returned, duplicated, or transferred.
Letter of Recommendation
One letter of recommendation is required with your application. Do not submit more than one letter of recommendation and please adhere to these guidelines:
- The recommendation may be academic or professional in nature.
- The recommendation should come from an individual who can objectively assess your performance and your potential for success in Stern’s MSQM program and in your future career.
- We discourage recommendations from family members, family friends, and close friends.
- Your recommender must have a valid email address.
Your recommenders will be asked to rate you on a number of abilities and qualities, as well as provide an answer to these three questions:
- How long have you known the applicant and in what capacity?
- How do the candidate’s performance, potential, background, or personal qualities compare to those of other well-qualified peers? Please provide specific examples.
- How would you describe the applicant’s interpersonal skills?
Your recommenders may answer these questions in the recommendation form or by uploading a document.
Instructions for Submitting Recommendations
Recommendations must be submitted online
- As part of the application process, you will input the names and contact information for your recommender.
- Once you submit a recommender’s information, he or she will receive an email notification and instructions for completing the recommendation.
- There are instructions in the application for sending reminders to your recommenders, if needed.
Exceptions to the online recommendation
- If your recommender cannot submit an online recommendation, you must email email@example.com to explain the circumstances and request approval for your recommender to submit a paper recommendation.
- If your recommender cannot complete a recommendation in English, you must request approval to submit a paper recommendation, as described above. Once you receive approval, your recommender must obtain a certified English translation through a translating service and submit it in a sealed envelope with the original recommendation and endorse the envelope across the seal.
Prior to submitting your online application, you will be prompted to pay the non-refundable application fee. The application fee must be paid online by credit card when you submit your application. Your application is not complete until we receive payment of the application fee.
The application fee is non-refundable and may not be applied toward any future applications at NYU Stern or other NYU programs.
Fall 2021 Application Fee: $100
Additional Submissions by Waitlisted Applicants
The Admissions Committee reserves the right to make final decisions on waitlisted applications prior to receiving additional information. Materials received after a final decision will not affect that decision.
Application Fee Waivers
U.S. military members and U.S. veterans who have served active duty and Teach for America and Teach for India program alumni are eligible for application fee waivers. Just prior to submitting your application, email your request for an application fee waiver to firstname.lastname@example.org and include documentation of service.
If you are experiencing economic challenges and would like to request an application fee waiver, please email email@example.com
. Requests should include a detailed rationale for the application fee waiver and will be considered by the Admissions Committee on a case-by-case basis.
Once an application fee is paid by an applicant, it is non-refundable. If you wish to request a waiver, please be sure to contact firstname.lastname@example.org prior to paying your application fee.
Applying Prior to Completing your Undergraduate Degree
If you submit your application prior to the conferral of your bachelor’s degree or equivalent, we will accept and evaluate your application. This will not delay the evaluation of your application. If an offer of admission is made, it will be contingent upon graduating from your undergraduate program prior to the first day of class. An undergraduate degree is required to enroll in the MSQM program.
Official Transcript Requirement for Enrollment
Admitted students are required to provide an official copy of all academic transcripts and proof of degree conferral prior to enrollment. Instructions are communicated upon admission.
Do not send official transcripts to NYU Stern unless instructed to do so.
Change of Contact Information
It is the applicant’s responsibility to update NYU Stern immediately with any new contact information. If you fail to update your contact information you may miss key information, which could jeopardize your admission and/or place in the class. You may update your information within the application portal or notify us by email at email@example.com.
NYU Stern is not responsible for any technological issues (including email filters, etc.) that prevent applicants from receiving our communications.
Deferred Admission/Leave of Absence
NYU Stern does not grant admission deferrals. If you are admitted and decide not to enroll, you may re-apply for a future term. Leaves of absence are not granted to students who find that they cannot begin the program in the semester for which they were admitted or who cannot successfully complete one course in that first semester.
After admission, a non-refundable enrollment $750 deposit is required to secure your place in NYU Stern’s MSQM program. The deposit is due within two weeks of notification of an offer of admission.
The Admissions Committee reserves the right to make an admission decision at any point in the process even if the application is not complete or is missing components or does not meet eligibility requirements. All admission decisions are final.
Re-Application and Applying to Multiple Programs within the Same Admissions Cycle
You may have only one active application for a program at NYU Stern within the 2020-21 admissions cycle (entering Fall 2021, Spring 2022, or Summer 2022). If you are not offered admission to the MSQM or withdraw your application, you may request to re-apply to the same program with a different start date or you may request to apply to a different program. Requests must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and your request must be approved before you begin your new application.
New York State requires that all students have the necessary immunizations to ensure your well-being and the vitality of the NYU community.
Application Requirements Overview
As part of the admissions process, all candidates must submit the materials listed below.
- Completed online application form
- Unofficial transcripts from any institution from which you have received academic credit
- GMAT, GRE, or GMAC Executive Assessment scores (optional)
- While the GMAT, GRE, or GMAC Executive Assessment exams are optional for the MSQM program, we encourage applicants to submit scores if they believe it will strengthen their applications or their academic and professional records do not provide sufficient evidence of their quantitative, verbal, and reasoning abilities. Applicants who wish to submit alternative standardized test results in lieu of or in addition to the GMAT, GRE, or GMAC Executive Assessment should contact email@example.com with their request.
- TOEFL, IELTS, iTEP, Duolingo or PTE scores (if required)
- One essay (second essay optional)
- Essay 1: Discuss your objectives for pursuing this degree. What role do you expect the program and degree to play in your career?
- Essay 2:
- Option 1: Please provide any additional information that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee. This may include gaps in employment, further explanation of your undergraduate record or self-reported academic transcript(s), plans to retake the GMAT, GMAC EA, GRE, IELTS or TOEFL, and any other relevant information.
- Option 2: If you will not be submitting a test score, please provide a supplemental essay in which you explain how your academic and professional experience provide evidence of your quantitative, verbal, and reasoning abilities.
- Current resume
- One letter of recommendation (academic or professional)
- Application fee: $100 (non-refundable)
Personal Admissions Guidance
We’re here to guide you through every step of the admissions process and answer any questions you may have about requirements, application materials, deadlines, and more. If you would like assistance, please contact an online MSQM admissions counselor at +1 (866)-698-0002, firstname.lastname@example.org, or fill out the form below and a representative will reach out to you shortly.
Request More Information
To learn more about NYU Stern’s online Master of Science in Quantitative Management program and download a free brochure, fill out the fields below. You can also call +1 (866) 698-0002 to speak with one of our admissions counselors.
* All Fields are Required. Your Privacy is Protected.
NYU Stern respects your right to privacy. By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails and calls from a representative of NYU Stern, which may include the use of automated technology. Consent is needed to contact you, but is not a requirement to register or enroll.