Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to take the GMAT for admission into the MSQM program?
We require a GRE, GMAT or GMAC Executive Assessment score for admission. NYU Stern evaluates each MSQM candidate holistically across three dimensions: academic profile, achievements and aspirations, and personal characteristics.
Does the program have any math prerequisites?
Before beginning the program, students are expected to be comfortable with the concepts listed below. If you have any doubt about whether you meet the MSQM math prerequisites, we encourage you to enroll in a refresher course. Please reach out to an admissions counselor with any questions about math preparation.
- Data Relations (equalities and inequalities, absolute value, ratios, fractions, summation notation)
- Functions & Graphs (linear and nonlinear functions)
- Systems of Equations
- Exponents (laws of exponents, quadratic formula)
- Logarithms (compound interest and exponential growth, natural logarithms)
- Basic calculus (derivatives of polynomial expressions, using first-order conditions to determine maxima and minima)
Can the MSQM be completed on a part-time basis while I continue to work?
The MSQM is a part-time program, structured to accommodate working professionals. Students take one course at a time and can complete online courses largely on their own schedule. Students are, however, required to meet weekly deadlines for assignments. MSQM professors hold optional live sessions each week which are recorded for students who are unable to attend.
Learn more on the Curriculum page.
Will I ever need to go to the NYU campus?
The MSQM program includes two immersive four-day residencies on the the NYU Stern Campus in Greenwich Village. The residential immersions are a highlight of the program and take place over a long weekend to accommodate working professionals. In exceptional circumstances, we will consider waiving the residency requirement and provide alternatives for completing the orientation and coursework.
Please visit the Residential Immersions page for more information.
Additionally, we welcome students to come to campus for both the NYU Stern Graduate Convocation and NYU’s All-University Commencement at Yankee Stadium.
Do you accept international students?
Please visit the International Applicants page for information about requirements.
Where do students stay during the residencies?
Students are responsible for finding and arranging their own lodging. We are happy to provide guidance on finding a place to stay near campus.
Will my diploma indicate that I earned the MSQM online?
Neither your diploma nor transcripts will reference the program’s format.
What are the program’s technical requirements?
- Desktop or laptop computer
- A webcam and headset (preferred) or microphone for online meetups
- Broadband/high speed Internet (1.5 Mbps minimum/3 Mbps preferred) to ensure your ability to fully participate in online meetups using Zoom
- Operating System: Mac OS 10.14 or Windows 10 or later
- Browser: Safari 12.0.2, Chrome 72.0.3626, Firefox 65.0.1, or Internet Explorer 11 or later
- This program does not support mobile devices
Do you accept transfer credits?
We do not accept transfer credits.
Are MSQM course credits transferable to any other NYU Stern programs?
MSQM students who have not completed the degree and wish to further their education with an MBA will be eligible to apply to Stern’s Langone Part-time MBA program and use the credits they have earned online toward the MBA degree.