Undergraduate Students

All undergraduate Teaching Fellows or Graders must be Stern juniors or seniors enrolled in the semester of appointment. There is a GPA requirement of at least 3.3. All students must have taken the course, its equivalent or have the professor's permission to apply. Compensation is dependent on enrollment, course credit load, and other factors.  Please note that once an application has been approved by the Teaching Assistance Center, compensation cannot be amended due to an increase or decrease in the course enrollment.

Visit the Job Listings page to apply for positions.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I contact the Department Coordinator?

You can find the designated Coordinator's contact information by going to the Department site and selecting the Faculty & Staff tab.

What is the process for getting hired as a TF or GF?

If you have not already been hired by a Professor and are looking for available positions, you may apply to a listed position on the main Student Jobs page.  If you have already been selected as a TF/GF by a Professor or Department, you should select the 'apply for an unlisted position' option on the main Student Jobs page to submit an application. Selection processes vary by Department, so specific questions about the inital hiring process should be directed to the Department coordinator.  

Who should I contact with questions about my application?

Please contact your Department Coordinator first.

For questions about showing hiring documents to Human Resources, please contact Pauline Braz at pbraz@stern.nyu.edu

How do I find the course number, credit load, and current enrollment for the course I'll be a TF?

Please contact the Department Coordinator for this information.

How am I being paid?

Stern undergraduate students receive tuition remission. Stern students receiving 100% scholarship are compensated through payroll.

What is the amount of compensation?

Payment is dependent on enrollment, course credit load, and other factors. Please see contract for more details. Graders are paid $18 per student with a minimum of 25 students, and assist with atleast 3 major assignments or the equivalent. Tutors are paid $18 an hour.

TF Undergraduate Student Compensation
   Half credit courses
(1.5 or 2.0 credits)
Full credit courses
(3.0 or 4.0 credits)
6 credit courses
Position Hours/  week for 14 weeks Payment Position Weight Hours/ week for 14 weeks Payment Position 
Hours/ week for 14 weeks Payment Position 
.5 (enrollment of 25-49) 2.5 $625 0.25 5 $1250 0.5  7.5 $1875 .75
1 (enrollment of 50-84) 5 $1250 .5 10 $2500 15 $3750 1.5
1.5 (enrollment of 85-119) 7.5 $1875 .75 15 $3750 1.5       
2 (MAX 2 full positions) 10     20 $5000      

Can a position be terminated?

Your employment is at will, which means that you or NYU can terminate your employment at any time, with or without cause. NYU can also withdraw or rescind this offer at any time prior to the commencement of work without restriction.

What if I am receiving student loans?

As these payments are considered tuition remission, Financial Aid will simply reduce the amount of your loans, or you will receive a reimbursement check from the Bursar’s Office. Contact Financial Aid at 212-998-4444 for more information.

Can I have more than one TF, grader or tutor position at the same time?

Yes, however, a student may not exceed the 2 position limit during the Fall/Spring semester. There is a 1 position limit in the winter and each summer session.
Students can work up to 35 hours per week in the summer.

What are the rules for Summer positions?

You may work up to 3.5 TF positions over the course of Summer I,II, and III terms.
Jobs are open to Stern May graduates, except for May graduates who are international students. May graduates may not continue past August 31st.

Are all courses eligible for a full teaching fellowship?

No. Position and compensation are based on enrollment and course credit load.

Can a teaching fellow receive additional compensation for private tutoring?

No. Students may not make independent arrangements for additional compensation to tutor students in the class to which they are assigned as a TF. Petitions for exceptions to this policy must be accompanied by the following, submitted in writing by the instructor: (1) A complete description of the TF's responsibilities (2) A guarantee that the TF will not be engaged in any interpretive assessment of student work.

I am an international student. Can I work?

International students who either have a green card or hold a F-1 visa are eligible to work.

If you hold any other visa, such as an H-1B, you cannot work under any circumstances.