Exchange students must be accepted and nominated by their home universities in order to study at Stern. You should contact your school’s exchange office for information on how to apply to the program.
Please see below for the steps required once you have been accepted by your home university and nominated to Stern.
- Submit the following two documents to our office via email at email@example.com:
- One copy of your official or unofficial transcript in English that includes ALL university-level coursework, including the most recent semester
- One passport-sized digital photo of yourself (for our office use only)
- Complete the University Programs Application
- The link will be sent to you directly by the IBEX team (firstname.lastname@example.org) after you are nominated by your home university. The application asks for personal information required to matriculate you as an NYU student.
- Receive your Acceptance Letter and Visa Sponsorship Instructions (via email). Your NYU Net ID and N Number (Campus ID) are found at the top of this email and allow you to activate your NYU Home account:
- NOTE: Read the instructions below carefully and complete all steps in Step #3 before taking action on the instructions in the Visa Sponsorship Instructions Letter!
- This letter will be emailed to you automatically within a few weeks of your successful submission of the University Programs Application (Step 2)
- The letter will show your 2 NYU IDs at the top of the email
- NYU N# is the letter N with 8 numbers following it. (i.e. N12345678)
- NYU Net ID is 2 or 3 letters (your initials) followed up 2 – 4 numbers (i.e uc123)
- Activate NYU Home account - IMPORTANT
- Visit the NYU Start page
- Input NYU Net ID and follow the screen prompts to create your password and activate your NYU Home account.
- Your NYU Email
- Your NetID is the base of your NYU email address. For example, if your NetID is uc123, then your NYU email will be email@example.com
- To activate your NYU email account, go to home.nyu.edu, log in with your NetID and password. You should be able to access and set up your NYU email from there.
- You will receive information about a @stern.nyu.edu email address at Orientation. You will be responsible for checking both your @nyu and @stern.nyu.edu email addresses once the semester starts.
- Apply for a DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for a J-1 student visa) through NYU’s Office of Global Services (OGS) by following the instructions in the Acceptance Letter & Visa Sponsorship Instructions
- NOTE: You will need to activate your Net ID (Step 3) before you can complete the E-FORM application