- File the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at www.fafsa.ed.gov and include NYU's school code 002785. The information you report is used to determine your eligibility for Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford loans and Federal Direct Graduate Plus loans.
- Officially accept the loans on NYU Albert, the university-wide system. You will first receive instructions on how to secure your loans via your Stern e-mail account.
- Electronically sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN) at www.studentloans.gov. There is a separate MPN for the Federal Direct Stafford loan and the Direct Graduate Plus loan.
- Complete ONE on-line entrance counseling session at www.studentloans.gov. This includes information regarding both Stafford and Graduate Plus loans.
- Renew the FAFSA for each academic year in which you wish to receive federal aid. The MPNs for all federal loans are valid for 10 years. However, if a student applies for the Federal Direct Graduate Plus loan with an endorser, he/she must sign a new MPN for each additional Graduate Plus loan desired. Please email the Stern Graduate Financial Aid Office if you were credit approved with an endorser or as a result of the credit appeal process.
- Track your federal loans on the National Student Loan Data System. NSLDS displays information on loan amounts, balances, statuses, servicers and disbursements. Please note that loans are reported to NSLDS within 30 days of receipt of funds. If you have been making payments on a loan, the outstanding principal balance listed by NSLDS may be as much as 120 days old. You should contact the loan servicer for more up-to-date balance information.
Direct Loan Contact Information
|General Federal Student Aid Information Center|
|COD School Relations-Applicant Services|
(Master Promissory Note assistance)
|Direct Loan Servicing Center|
(entrance counseling and deferment questions)
|Direct Loan Consolidation Center|
|Federal Student Aid Ombudsman|
(student loan issues)