Timeline for PhDStudents are eligible for financial aid up to, but not exceeding, their cost of attendance (COA). Cost of attendance, also known as the student's budget, represents a student's maximum financial aid eligibility. The cost of attendance is determined by the University and consists of tuition, fees, and living expenses. Students may only borrow loans up to the COA, minus any other financial aid received.
PhD students must speak with a Financial Aid representative to discuss their loan eligibility options prior to completing the steps below. Please contact us if you are intereted in borrowing any student loans.
To apply for Federal Student Loans:
- Complete the most recent FAFSA online. This application is used to determine federal student loan eligibility for the entire academic year. Please review the federal loans section of our website for detailed information on the types of loans available.
- Contact the Stern Graduate Financial Aid Office so we are aware that your FAFSA information is being processed. We will then confirm your federal loan eligibility with the PhD Office and package your loans accordingly.
- Receive a financial aid award notice to your Stern e-mail account.
- Accept your federal loans on NYU Albert. This is the university-wide system which provides a comprehensive view of your financial aid.
- Sign in at studentloans.gov to secure your loans. You must complete the:
- Entrance Counseling Session
- Master Promissory Note(s)
- After accepting and securing your loan(s), please confirm approval with Stern Graduate Financial Aid.
- Apply for a semester-only private loan or a fall/spring combined loan directly with a private lender about one month prior to your payment deadline. Review the private student loans section of our website for application tips and topics you should discuss with your lender.
- Contact the Stern Graduate Financial Aid Office so that we may confirm your loan eligibility with the PhD Office and request that your loan be certified by the Central NYU Office of Financial Aid.
- Once the loan is certified, receive a financial aid award notice to your Stern email account.
- After securing your loan(s), please confirm approval with Stern Graduate Financial Aid.