Practical Training (Full-Time International Students Only)
Full-Time international students with valid F-1 visa status are able to pursue a U.S. summer internship during the MBA program (Curricular Practical Training), as well as full-time employment for up to 12 months upon completion of the degree (Post degree completion - Optional Practical Training).
In order to apply for either type of work permission, both of the following requirements must first be met:
- Students must have valid F-1 visa status for at least nine months.
- Employment must be directly related to the field of study.
Students interested in either type of practical training must attend a mandatory workshop conducted by the Office of Global Services (OGS) before their applications will be processed. Information (dates and times) of these workshops will be emailed to international students by the Academic Affairs and Advising Office.
See below for the authorization procedures for:
- Curricular Practical Training (Summer Internship)
- Post degree completion Optional Practical Training- (Full-Time Job After Graduation)
Summer Internship - Curricular Practical Training Procedure
Students must complete the following:
- When international students obtain summer internship job offers, they should obtain an offer letter from their employer stating the job title and beginning and ending dates of employment. If the position is part-time, the letter should specify the number of hours required per week.
- Attend an OGS workshop on Curricular Practical Training.
- Complete the Curricular Practical Training Request Form and NYU Stern OCD Request Form. On the CPT Request Form, section A must completed by the student and section B must be completed by Academic Affairs and Advising. Please be sure to include the company address and zip code.
- Bring the CPT Request Form, job offer letter, passport, I-20 and I-94 to the Office of Global Services (OGS), at 561 LaGuardia Place.
- At OGS, complete the required INS form (I-538). Authorization may be granted in person or within a few days (maximum of 10 days). International students may not begin legal employment until it has been authorized by the OGS and they have notified the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). While students may request the approval at any time, authorization to work will not begin until after the last day of courses of the Spring term.
- Students must have a job offer in order to apply for Curricular Practical Training.
- Curricular practical training is allowed only during the summer break and only once during the Stern MBA program. This training will not count against the 12 months of optional practical training allowed with the F-1 visa. Any other employment during or after your time at Stern will be counted as pre- or post-completion optional practical training and is subject to separate regulations.
Post degree completion - Optional Practical Training Procedure
Students must complete the following:
- Attend an OGS workshop on Post-completion Optional Practical Training.
- Once it is within the 120 day period complete the Optional Practical Training Request Form and NYU Stern OCD Request Form. On the OPT Request Form, section A must completed by the student and section B must be completed by Academic Affairs and Advising.
- Bring both completed request forms, the job offer letter (if you have one), your passport, I-94 and I-20 to the Office of International Students and Scholars (OGS), 561 LaGuardia Place.
- At OGS, complete the required governmental and internal request forms. Once the initial application is approved, OGS will issue a recommendation for practical training to the student, along with instructions to mail documents to the INS. Applications to the INS can be sent no earlier than 120 days before graduation date and no later than 60 days after graduation date. These deadlines are set by the federal government and are not flexible (applications that are even one day late are denied). Students may not begin legal employment until it has been authorized by the INS. Once practical training has been recommended by the OGS, it may not be rescinded (canceled).
- It is not necessary to have a job offer to apply for (post degree completion) Optional Practical Training.