If a student is unable to complete the coursework for a course before the last class of the semester, the student may request a grade of Incomplete.
The procedure for requesting an Incomplete Grade:
- A student should discuss the option for an incomplete grade with the course instructor before the last class of the semester.
- If the instructor agrees, the student and instructor should complete an Incomplete Grade Form. This multi-page form is obtained from the Office of Records and Registration and a copy of the form should be returned to the Office of Records & Registration.
- After receiving an incomplete grade, the student must complete the coursework by the required deadline in order to earn an official grade. The deadlines are: June 1 for Fall courses and January 1 for Spring or Summer courses. Extensions are not granted.
Incomplete Pass (IP) and Incomplete Fail (IF)
Students may be awarded one of two types of Incomplete grade:
- Incomplete Pass (IP). An Incomplete Pass may be given if the student was passing at the time the incomplete was given. An "IP" will lapse to an "N" or no credit, if not completed by the deadline.
- Incomplete Fail (IF). An Incomplete Fail is given if the student was failing at the time the incomplete was given. An "IF" will lapse to an "F" or fail if not completed by the deadline. A failed course must be re-taken if needed for degree requirements (core courses and/or credit requirements). A grade of "F" will figure into the GPA.
Deadlines for Completion
|Semester of Incomplete Grade||Deadline to Complete Coursework|
|Fall||The following June 1|
|Spring||The following January 1|
|Summer||The following January 1|
Graduating students have revised deadlines; please see Graduation Requirements for those deadlines. There are no extensions for the incomplete deadlines.
"Sitting in" on a course during the following semester to make up the incomplete is not permitted.