Honors Societies and AwardsWe recognize and reward students who attain academic excellence and achieve distinction in extracurricular activities. Awards and prizes are presented to those who have shown academic superiority, demonstrated leadership, and made exceptional contributions to the Stern School. Achievement in these areas is acknowledged both during students’ academic tenure and at graduation. Academic and student awards include honorary societies, Dean’s List honors, and a host of commencement awards.
On this page:
The Dean’s List is an academic honor awarded to undergraduate students achieving high scholarship each academic year. The list is compiled at the end of each academic year in May. If you receive this honor, you will be notified in late summer via mail to your current permanent address on file with NYU. You will also receive a designation on your transcript (both official and unofficial) appearing under the Spring semester of the applicable academic year.
To qualify for Dean’s List, you must meet the following requirements:
- Maintain a grade point average of 3.667 or higher
- Cannot have any missing grades, grades of incomplete (“I”) or No Record (“NR”).
- Earn at least 28 graded credits over an academic year (does not include J-term or summer). Graded credits do not include courses taken pass/fail.
- Take no less than 12 units in either the Fall or Spring semester at Stern.
- Graduating seniors who go part-time in their final semester must have completed at least 22 graded units (not including pass/fail) and have maintained a grade point average of at least 3.75 over the academic year.
- Seniors graduating in January must complete at least 8 graded units in the immediately preceding semester (not including pass/fail) and must receive a semester grade point average of at least 3.8 to qualify.
- If you studied away for a semester through Stern’s IBEX program, you are eligible for the Dean’s List even though the grades you earn abroad will be transferred back to Stern pass/fail.
- Juniors: during your non-IBEX semester, you must maintain a GPA of 3.8 or more in a program of study that is no less than 12 units (not including courses taken pass/fail).
- Seniors: during your non-IBEX semester, you must maintain a GPA of 3.8 or more in a program of study that is no less than 8 credits (not including courses taken pass/fail).
- For both juniors and seniors, you cannot have been assigned any grades of incomplete or “NR”.
- Seniors in the year-long Honors Program receive an “incomplete” grade in the Fall semester. Once grades are entered, you will be eligible for the Dean's List for the academic year as long as you have a minimum 3.667 GPA in at least 8 graded units in the fall semester.
DUE TO THE IMPACT OF COVID-19 IN THE SPRING 2020 SEMESTER, THE DEAN’S LIST REQUIREMENTS FOR THE 2019-2020 ACADEMIC YEAR ONLY WERE AS FOLLOWS:
The Dean’s List is compiled at the end of each academic year (September-May). This is a list of matriculated Stern students who have maintained a grade point average of 3.667 or more in a program of study of at least 12 graded units over the 2019-2020 academic year (not including courses taken pass/fail.) To be listed, you must have been assigned no grades of incomplete or NR.
Beta Gamma Sigma
Beta Gamma Sigma (BGS) is the international honorary society of collegiate schools of business and has 600 collegiate chapters around the world. Membership in the society is open to juniors and seniors whose grade point average places them in the upper 10% of their respective classes.
To be eligible for membership in BGS, you must have completed at least 60 graded credits while enrolled at Stern (a grade of “pass” is not acceptable). All courses that appear on the Stern transcript and that fulfill the Stern academic program requirements will be used in computing this grade point average. You are notified of your eligibility to join BGS based on your cumulative GPA in the Spring semester of your junior or senior year You are invited to attend an induction ceremony, typically held in May.
- BGS Inductees 2011 - 2012
- BGS Inductees 2012 - 2013
- BGS Inductees 2013 - 2014
- BGS Inductees 2014 - 2015
- BGS Inductees 2015 - 2016
- BGS Inductees 2016 - 2017
- BGS Inductees 2017 - 2018
- BGS Inductees 2018 - 2019
- BGS Inductees 2019 - 2020
The above applies to students enrolled in classes for Spring 2020, including full-time and part-time students, as well as those enrolled in IBEX. January 2020 graduates were considered for the Dean’s List based on the regular requirements above.