Global Study and Travel Policies
You must be in good academic and judicial standing with Stern and NYU in order to study away and/or participate in a travel program.
Membership in a global campus community such as NYU/Stern requires mutual respect, consideration, and concern for the well-being of others as well as a significant degree of personal integrity and maturity. If your prior behavior has been determined through the University's or Stern's student conduct processes to have been disruptive to the University community and/or antithetical to these qualities, you may not be eligible to participate in study away programs, Stern travel study courses and Stern sponsored conferences and/ or competitions.
If you plan to travel abroad you must agree to the Travel Code of Conduct in order to participate.
Travel Code of Conduct and Responsibilities
If you travel with the Undergraduate College of the Stern School of Business, you will be expected to maintain the highest standards of professional conduct and integrity. You must comply with all College and University policies and procedures governing student conduct (see the NYU Rules of Conduct and Stern’s Code of Conduct . As a participant in school-sponsored travel, you are expected to commit to the following:
- Show respect for every member of the NYU community by refraining from all forms of intimidation, sexual and physical harassment, and acts of prejudice that infringe upon the rights of other members of the community.
- Refrain from causing physical injury to yourself and others. You will be held financially and legally responsible for any and all damage you inflict upon other persons.
- Refrain from causing damage to real or personal property of others. You will be held financially and legally responsible for any and all damage you inflict upon the property of others.
- Preserve the quality of facilities that you may visit or reside at during your travels.
- Respect cultural differences. This includes observing the proper etiquette in business/social settings (e.g. being punctual for appointments, not speaking out of turn, etc.)
- Refrain from irresponsible behavior, including the inappropriate and/or excessive consumption of alcohol.
- Refrain from leaving the host city for any personal excursions or trips (unless organized by Stern).
- Refrain from operating motorized vehicles.
- Refrain from participating in risky athletic/recreational activities (i.e. scuba, parachuting, parasailing, etc.).
- Conduct yourself as a law abiding member of both the NYU community and our broader society – including but not limited to (a) refraining from behaviors that infringe upon the rights of others or disrupt the educational process, and (b) acting in conformity with NYU and Stern policies and public law.
- Refrain from behaving in ways that knowingly support, assist, or in any way attempt to enable another person to engage in any violation of the Code of Conduct. This includes the obligation to report any observed violations of this Travel Code of Conduct or other School and University policies that are deemed to have an adverse effect on the NYU Stern community.
- Check in on time and in-person with the designated University Official on a daily basis.
- Attend all mandatory events and activities during the trip.
- Be on time to all scheduled events including daily check-ins on free day(s).
- Travel on the group flights purchased by Stern both to and from the destination (when applicable).
Violations of the Stern Travel Code of Conduct and Responsibilities can result in disciplinary action, which could include (but is not limited to) academic sanctions, expulsion from the University, referral to the Judiciary Committee or the Undergraduate Dean or Dean's designee(s). In situations where the violation is deemed egregious, you may be immediately sent back to the U.S., bearing responsibility for the cost of transportation to and from the airport as well as airline fees associated with flight changes.