Frequently Asked Questions

Greenwich village_FAQs_Exchange Students

How many credits am I allowed to take?

Students typically enroll in 12-18 credits. On average this equates to four to five courses. You must be enrolled in at least 12 credits to be considered full-time.

What subjects can I study at Stern? Do you have any course descriptions online?

Incoming exchange students can enroll in courses in the areas of Accounting, Actuarial Science, Economics, Finance, Information Systems, Global Business, Management and Organizations, Marketing, Operations and Statistics. Stern International Exchanges & Special Programs will provide students with a complete list of updated course offerings and timetables each semester. Please note that some courses may be subject to restrictions and are not open to exchange students.

Exchange students cannot register for more than two Finance classes, and may only take one non-Stern (i.e. non-business) class. This non-business class can be taken from the College of Arts and Science (CAS). Exceptions will only be made for students taking Economics classes.

PLEASE NOTE: Our Economics courses are taught between Stern and CAS, and students may take a maximum of two Economics classes while on exchange. Economics classes can either be both at Stern, both at CAS or one from Stern and one from CAS. If a student selects two Economics classes from CAS, the remainder of their courses must be taken at Stern.

For a list of course offerings, credit hours, and pre-requisite requirements, you should consult the Stern Bulletin and Course Index, as well as the College of Arts and Science (CAS) Bulletin. Students may use the Albert Course Search to view course offerings by semester. Please see the IBEX Academics section for more information.


What is the classroom setting like and how will I be assessed?

Class Format: Combination of lecture, group projects and experiential learning.

Grading: A (highest grade), A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, F (failing)

Class Size: Varies from 45 to 100 students depending on the subject.


Can I take classes outside of Stern?

Exchange students are permitted to enroll in one course outside of Stern. For information on non-business courses, visit the respective schools and departments listed on NYU's website.

Will I be guaranteed housing?

Due to a shortage of housing at NYU, Stern cannot guarantee housing for all exchange students. However, we will make every effort to accommodate as many exchange students as possible who request NYU housing. We will also provide information on outside resources for securing housing in New York City.

Visiting students who receive NYU housing are placed in apartment-style residence halls that are either walking distance from campus or commutable via the free NYU shuttle bus. Students cannot request a specific residence hall due to high housing demand by full-time students. Visit the NYU Housing website for additional information.

Can I change or cancel my health insurance plan?

All New York University students (including visiting exchange students) are required to maintain health insurance. All J-1 students are automatically enrolled in and billed for the NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance Comprehensive Plan. Please see the Housing & Living page for more information on health insurance while at NYU Stern.

How long am I allowed to stay in the United States after my semester has finished?

On J1 visa status, you are allowed to stay up to 30 days after you have taken your last final.

Can I work or get an internship while studying at Stern?

Yes, it is possible to work or obtain an internship, however keep in mind you will be very busy and we recommend that you become involved in student clubs and activities if you have free time. For more information on this subject please refer to the Office of Global Services website.

Are there any safety issues I should be aware of at NYU?

Please visit NYU Public Safety for more information.

Contact Us:
International Exchanges & Special Programs