The Stern Grading System
|Prior to Fall 2018||As of Fall 2018|
|Grade||Point Value||Grade||Point Value|
Grading InformationThe below grades are without numerical value and are not included in the grade point average:
- IF - Incomplete Failing: Student was failing at the time grade was submitted and lapses to an "F" by the following deadlines: Fall classes - June 1; Summer and Spring classes - January 1.
- IP - Incomplete Passing: Student was passing at time the grade was submitted and lapses to an "N" if not made up by the following deadlines: Fall classes - June 1; Summer and Spring classes - January 1.
- N - No Credit. Used to indicate that an "IP" has lapsed or that a course taken on a Pass/No Credit basis was not successfully completed.
- P - Pass. Used only for passing grades received while on Study Abroad Exchange programs, for Business Writing workshops and other specially designated courses offered on a Pass/No Credit basis.
- R - Registered Auditor. Students may not retake a course for credit in which an "R" is granted. Auditor status should be noted at the time of registration or within the first four weeks of the Fall or Spring semester and within the first two weeks of the Summer semester. Auditor status cannot be revoked once it has been requested. Students must pay full tuition for a course taken as a registered auditor. Also used for non-credit, pre-term workshops.
- S - Satisfactory. The grade is used for dissertation seminars or to indicate that a final grade is pending for a yearly course.
- W - Withdrawal. This means the student voluntarily and officially withdrew from the course. A "W" is a grade that carries no weight in the GPA. It does not reflect on the academic performance of a student but simply means that a student remained in the course past the drop deadline. Students who receive a "W" may re-take the course for credit provided that they register and pay for the course a second time. The student pays for the credits associated with the "W" and it is recorded on the transcripts as attempted credits. Because of this, a student will be considered matriculated for that semester for Leave of Absence purposes and the "W" will count against the Free Credits available to the student.
Computing Grade Point AverageTo determine grade point average, divide the total number of credits completed into the total number of honor credits granted. Honor credits for each course are computed by multiplying the credit value of the course by the value (i.e., honor credits) of the grade assigned. For example, a 3-credit course with a grade of “A” (4 honor credits) contributes 3 x 4, for a total of 12 honor credits. Thus, a student completing 20 credits with 50 honor credits would have a grade point average of 2.5. The grade point average includes grades in all courses taken toward a particular program, whether or not they fulfill any program requirements. Grades of “N,” “P,” “S,” or “W” are not computed into the grade point average. A grade of “F” remains in the calculation, even if the student retakes the course and receives a passing grade. Courses offered in other divisions of NYU, taken at Stern with the approval of the program advising office, are included in the grade point average calculation, provided they earn the minimum grade required by the degree program. Courses taken outside of NYU that have been approved for transfer credit purposes are not included in the grade point average.
An official grade report is available online through AIS once ALL of the student's grades for the term have been recorded and the student's record is not on any "hold." You may also check your grades for individual courses via the web.
Grades of F (including those received from incomplete - IF - lapses) are included in the grade point average and remain on a student's record even after the student has repeated the course and received a passing grade. Students may not repeat courses in which they have previously received passing grades.
Appealing a Grade
To appeal a grade received, the student must speak directly with the course instructor about the grade in question. After this first step, any further appeal is addressed to the Department Chair for the academic department of the course.
Non-Stern NYU Courses
Non-Stern NYU courses that have been approved for the MBA program will be included in the GPA.
Study Abroad Courses
Courses taken on formal Study Abroad exchange programs (semester and Summer) do not figure into the GPA. These courses are graded "Pass/Fail". Only a grade of "Pass" will be credited towards the MBA degree requirements.
Core Course Grade Cap
To ensure parity among required course sections and to prevent grade inflation, core faculty are required to impose a 35% maximum of the letter grade of "A" or "A-".
CE Submission Requirement
Stern students who do not submit Course Evaluations by the deadline will not have access to their final grades until the grade release date, 30 days from the end of the CE evaluation period. This policy was determined by a committee of students to ensure full student participation. Faculty are requested not to release final grades to students who fail to submit evaluations and students should not ask.
The Department of Finance maintains a policy on suggested grading standards.