Visiting Students - Outgoing
Students who have completed their Stern Core course work and will be transferring or relocating outside of a 200 mile radius of New York City may be allowed to complete elective course work at another AACSB accredited graduate business school. Approval is given on a case-by-case basis. The following requirements apply:
To Receive Transfer Credit
- The minimum residency requirement of 45 credits at Stern with a minimum GPA of 2.5 must be met.
- The "Stern Core" requirements must be completed at Stern prior to relocation.
- All "Stern Core" courses must be taken at Stern.
- "Langone Core" courses may be taken outside of Stern only by submitting a petition to the Academic Policy Board.
- Electives taken outside of Stern may not count towards any Stern specializations. Only Stern electives may count towards a Stern specialization.
- Online courses are not permitted to count towards the Stern MBA program requirements and will not be considered or approved.
- Courses must be taken at an AACSB accredited graduate business school. For a complete list of AACSB schools refer to the website www.aacsb.edu or call the AACSB office at (314) 872-8481.
- Study Abroad, DBi or Short Term international location courses through another school or open enrollment will not be considered or approved for credit. Any study abroad or international course options must go through Stern. For approval, all courses must be taught by the visiting school's faculty and at their location, physically.
- You must maintain matriculation at Stern while you are completing your degree requirements by applying for a Leave of Absence.
- An Application for Degree form must be completed in the beginning of the semester in which all degree course work will be completed.
- You should first speak with a program advisor in Academic Affairs and Advising for guidelines on the Outgoing Student course approval process.
- You must obtain an acceptance letter from the host institution and submit it to Academic Affairs and Advising.
- You must submit a course description and syllabus with lecture topics and deliverables for each intended course to Academic Affairs and Advising for approval prior to registering for a course.
- Online courses are not permitted to count towards the Stern MBA degree requirements and will not be approved.
- The assignment of Stern credits is based on contact hours (the number of hours the course meets). To count as three Stern credits, a course must meet at least 36 hours. To count as 1.5 Stern credits, a course must meet for at least 18 hours.
- A passing grade must be achieved in order to receive Stern credit.
- Upon successful completion of courses, the student must submit an official transcript to Academic Affairs and Advising.
- Grades earned for transfer credit are not calculated into the Stern GPA.