Skip to main content

Academic Policies

On this page:

Academic Planning 

Access to Academic Information

Grades and Grading 

Stern Policy in Regard to In-Class Behavior & Expectations
Student Code of Conduct 
Travel Code of Conduct 
Career Policies

Student Code of Conduct

At NYU Stern, we seek to engage our students, faculty, and alumni as lifelong partners in the process of learning, debate, and discovery. Academic and personal integrity are central to this mission. Read and understand the Student Code of Conduct


Travel Code of Conduct

Membership in a global campus community such as NYU/Stern requires mutual respect, consideration, and concern for the well-being of others as well as a significant degree of personal integrity and maturity. Read and understand the Travel Code of Conduct


Career Policies

The Stern Undergraduate College expects students to act with a high degree of integrity and professionalism as you pursue your career goals. Read and understand the NYU and Stern Career Policies.


Stern Policy in Regard to In-Class Behavior & Expectations

The following policies are assumed to be in force during all Stern courses unless an instructor explicitly establishes alternate policies. In addition to the below expectations, students are bound by University conduct policies, two of which are highlighted below: 

  • Behaviors that, by virtue of their intensity and/or repetitiveness, interfere with an educational activity (e.g., classroom, remote or online learning environments, advising session, lecture, workshop). This includes but is not limited to: persistently talking without being recognized; creating noise that obstructs the learning process; smoking/vaping or use of prohibited substance; repeatedly interrupting others; or deliberately engaging in other behaviors that unreasonably and illegitimately distracts from or interferes with the educational experience or otherwise violates University policy.

Note: We modified and added to our section on University Property to address Zoombombing, sharing private links, access classrooms or sessions one is not invited to, etc. 

University Properties (Misuse of)

Entering or remaining on or in any part of any University premises or virtual spaces and classrooms, without proper authorization. Use of University property or space, including virtual spaces and platforms, without proper authorization.

Laptops, Cell Phones & Other Electronic Devices

These devices may not be used in class with the exception of devices used for note-taking only, for which the policy is at the discretion of each individual instructor.

Attendance is required and part of the grade. Faculty will excuse absences only in the case of documented serious illness, family emergency, religious observance, or civic obligation. Please refer to NYU’s policy on Religious Holidays. In accordance with this policy, if you will miss class for religious observance or civic obligation, whenever possible, notify the faculty member in advance of such anticipated absence. Recruiting activities and business trips are not acceptable reasons for absence from class. If you are absent from the first day of an intensive course, the instructor may request that you be removed from the course.

Arriving Late, Leaving Early, Coming & Going
You are expected to arrive at class on time and stay until the end of the class period. Arriving late or leaving class early will have an impact on the course grade. You may enter class late only if given permission by the instructor and can do so without disrupting the class. (Note: instructors are not obligated to admit late students or may choose to admit them only at specific times. Instructors are not obligated to readmit students who leave class.)

Late Submission of Assignments
Late assignments will either not be accepted or will incur a grade penalty unless due to documented serious illness or family emergency. Instructors will make exceptions to this policy for reasons of religious observance or civic obligation, only when the assignment cannot reasonably be completed prior to the due date and the student makes arrangements for late submission with the instructor in advance.

General Behavior
You must conduct yourself with respect and professionalism toward faculty, students, and others present in class and follow the instructor’s rules for classroom behavior. If you fail to do so, you may be asked to leave the classroom.

Collaboration on Graded Assignments
Students may not work together on graded assignments unless the instructor gives express permission. (Please refer to the NYU Stern Code of Conduct)

Recording Classes
At any time, your classes may be recorded for educational purposes.


Grading in Stern Undergraduate Classes

Grading Guidelines for Core Courses at the Stern Undergraduate College

NYU Stern strives to create courses that challenge you intellectually and that meet the Stern standards of academic excellence. To ensure fairness and clarity of grading, the Stern faculty has adopted a grading guideline for core courses with enrollment of more than 25 students, in which approximately 35% of students will receive an “A” or “A-” grade. In core courses of less than 25 students, the instructor is at liberty to give whatever grades he or she reasons the students deserve while maintaining rigorous academic standards. For elective courses, the individual instructor or department is responsible for determining reasonable grading guidelines.

Effective fall 2018, new grade point values have been assigned to letter grades. Listed in the chart below are the full range of letter grades and the numerical values used in the computation of the grade point average prior to fall 2018 and going forward. Grades and grade point averages prior to fall 2018 will not change.

Letter Grade Point Value prior to fall 2018   Point Value as of fall 2018
A [1] 4.0 Excellent 4.0
A- 3.7 3.667
B+ 3.3 3.333
B 3.0 Good 3.0
B- 2.7 2.667
C+ 2.3 2.333
C 2.0 Satisfactory 2.0
C- 1.7 1.667
D+ 1.3 1.333
D 1.0 Passing 1.0
F 0.0 Failing 0.0


For example, an A in a 4-unit course earns the student 16 grade points (4 x 4.0); a B in a 4-unit course earns 12 grade points (4 x 3.0), and so on.

The following grades are registrar’s grades and cannot be recorded by an instructor. They are without numerical value and are ones for which credit is not granted except as noted. W—This is a registrar’s grade assigned when a student officially withdraws from a course. P—This is a registrar’s grade assigned when the student has registered for a course under the pass/fail option when credit is granted or for non-credit courses.

[1] No grade above A or value above 4.0 may be used.

Pass/Fail Option

Learn more about Stern’s Pass/Fail Policy

The pass/fail option is designed to encourage students to explore new and potentially challenging courses throughout the University. The following parameters apply to the pass/fail option:

  • A maximum of four courses may be declared pass/fail during a student’s academic career*
  • No more than one course may be declared pass/fail in a given term
  • Courses that are used to satisfy non-elective academic requirements may not be taken pass/fail; examples of non-elective academic requirements are, 
    • Requirements listed as Core (e.g. Liberal Arts Core, Business Core, etc.)
      • For Program specific cores, see Curriculum Worksheets
      • Functional Business Core courses may only be designated pass/fail after the required 4 courses in that area are completed with a passing letter grade
    • Business concentration requirements**
    • CAS major requirements***
    • Minor requirements***
    • Other program-specific requirements
  • Stern graduate courses cannot be taken pass/fail
  • Once a pass/fail application is submitted, the pass/fail designation is irrevocable

*Courses for which pass/fail is the mandated grading option (e.g. letter grades are not awarded for the course) are not factored into the four-course maximum permitted to be declared pass/fail. Please note: courses that require the pass/fail option may still impact a student's eligibility for Dean's List and other honors.

**If an upper-level Stern elective required for a concentration (e.g. corporate finance for a finance concentration, financial statement analysis for accounting, etc.) is designated pass/fail, it will impact your ability to pursue that concentration.

***Students interested in requesting a P/F in a CAS major or non-Stern minor course requirement should obtain approval from the originating department prior to submitting a P/F request. Approval emails should be forwarded to

Pass/fail grades are factored into the grade point average as follows (ex. 4-unit course):
Grade of P: 0 grade points; 4 credits earned
Grade of F: 4 grade points; 0 credits earned

Students must designate the specific course for a pass/fail grade by the last day to withdraw from classes in a given term (this includes fall, spring, summer, and January term). Students wishing to declare a course pass/fail or with questions about the pass/fail option should consult with an academic adviser. Students can apply to declare a class pass/fail using the online form located in Stern Life.

Important Notes

  • Unless you inform them, professors will not know who elected to pass/fail their course.
  • Professors will assign letter grades to all students in their course. The Registrar automatically converts the letter grades to P/F for those who have elected to pass/fail the course.
  • Credits earned for passed courses are eliminated from consideration for the Dean's List, graduation with honors, and Beta Gamma Sigma (e.g. a full-time student must take a minimum of 12 graded credits to be eligible for the Dean's List; a pass/fail course does not qualify as part of these credits).
  • For courses offered at NYU study away locations (excluding NYU Shanghai and NYU Abu Dhabi), the pass/fail deadline is based on your study away calendar. If you are also taking NYUAD, NYUNY or NYUSH sponsored online courses, please refer to that school's academic calendar which varies by location.


Grades of Incomplete

An incompletes grade may be earned when unavoidable circumstances keep you from finishing a course in that term and the nature of the course permits the faculty member to allow late completion. You should discuss this option with the professor before the last day of class. An incomplete grade is given at the discretion of the professor and is never automatic. A notation of I (incomplete) is granted for a single semester, without numerical value, and is not included in the grade point average. If you do not complete the course material in the appointed time (see below), the I becomes an F. This may lead to placement on academic warning or academic probation 

The following rules apply to all grades of incomplete:

  1. Students may sit in on the same course in a subsequent term for which they have received an incomplete contingent upon space availability and instructor permission.
  2. Make-up work must be completed with the same instructor. However, if the faculty member is not in residence during that subsequent term, the incomplete can be resolved in consultation with the department chair.
  3. All work to convert an incomplete must be made up by the following deadlines unless stipulated otherwise by the instructor:
    • Fall Term or January Term: Last day of the following spring term.
    • Spring Term or Summer Session: Last day of the following fall term.

Note: Students taking incomplete grades in courses outside of Stern (e.g. CAS, Tisch, etc.) are encouraged to consult with that school for details about their specific grading policies in regards to grades of incompletes as they may differ from those of Stern.


Grade Point Average

The grade point average (GPA) is determined by dividing grade points by the total units taken (with 4 grade points and 0 units for a grade of F; 0 grade points and 4 units for a P). 

An average GPA of C (2.0) is required for graduation (128-144 credits and 256-288 grade points) aside from the number of units in courses taken pass/fail which are deducted from the total units when calculating the GPA (grade points divided by units). If you complete the required number of credits but lack grade points, you may be permitted to take additional courses to gain grade points. You may not secure grade points by repeating courses you have already passed.

Not included in the GPA are credits taken in excess of 144 units (credits are applied in strict chronological order), credits brought in from other institutions, or credits brought in through advanced standing credit.

Retaking Classes

You cannot retake any courses in which a passing grade has been received (D or better). Retaking a course that has been passed in previous semesters is a violation of Stern’s policy and is not counted toward graduation requirements nor computed into your GPA. You may only repeat a course if:

  • a failing grade was received. Both the failing grade and the passing grade remain on the transcript and both are calculated into the GPA. You may retake a required course as many times as needed until the course is passed. In those instances, the F grade will be factored into the cumulative GPA as will the passing grade. The credits associated with the passing grade will be factored into your earned hours.
  • a higher grade is required for the completion of a minor or major in a specified course. Both grades will appear and be factored into the GPA, however, the credit will only be earned once.


Grade Changes

The process of assigning grades is intended to be one of unbiased evaluation. You are encouraged to respect the integrity and authority of the professor’s grading system and are discouraged from pursuing arbitrary challenges to it. If you believe an inadvertent error was made in the grading of an individual assignment or in assessing an overall course grade, a request to have the grade reevaluated may be submitted. To appeal an assigned grade, you should provide a written explanation to the instructor who assigned the grade outlining the specific grading error. 

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the review and wish to appeal the grade further, a formal written appeal should be submitted to the chair and/or faculty course coordinator in the particular department. An independent review of the grade is then undertaken by the department. Your work is reviewed to clarify how the grade was determined and to ensure the grade is consistent with the academic guidelines and policies of the department and course. The decision of the department in matters related to a course grade is final. In all cases, you are expected to act within the semester following the course to appeal a grade since faculty may not be available to review an appeal in future semesters or years. (For fall and January term courses, you must appeal no later than the following spring. For spring and summer courses, you must appeal no later than the following fall). After the awarding of the Bachelor’s degree, no grade changes of any kind are permitted unless they are due to a departmental clerical error in recording.


Auditing Courses

The Stern Undergraduate College does not permit auditing of Stern undergraduate courses. You may not attend courses for which you have not registered.


Academic Standards

The Office of the Dean and the Stern Office of Academic Advising review student records throughout the academic year. Academic standards actions are based on the grades to date at the end of each semester (fall and spring). The Stern Undergraduate College requires that all students make steady and substantial progress toward the Bachelor of Science degree. This entails maintaining a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 and completing no less than 12 units during each academic semester. A minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA is required to graduate. For information regarding Satisfactory Academic Progress as it relates to financial aid packages, review NYU's policies for financial aid eligibility.


Credit Deficiency

If you fail to show steady and substantial progress toward degree completion, you will be notified of your "credit deficiency" by letter and will be required to meet with an adviser to review your degree progress. Steady and substantial progress toward the degree entails the completion of a minimum of 12 credits with satisfactory grades for which you register in any fall or spring semester. Note that Stern seniors are permitted to take fewer than 12 credits in their final semester without penalty if all degree requirements have been met.

Academic Warning

If your performance results in a cumulative GPA of 2.0-2.25 or a semester GPA below 2.0 (even if the cumulative GPA is above 2.0), you will receive an academic warning. You should seek guidance from an academic adviser to discuss recommendations for achieving an appropriate standard for academic performance.

Academic Probation

If your record is deemed unsatisfactory, you are placed on academic probation and informed so by letter. A record is deemed unsatisfactory if in a fall or spring semester, your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. 

Failure to satisfy the conditions of probation outlined in your academic probation letter may result in possible dismissal from the University. Academic probation can jeopardize your scholarship and financial aid funding.

Academic Dismissal

Continued poor academic performance can lead to dismissal from the Stern Undergraduate College. If you are dismissed, you will be informed in writing. If you have paid tuition for the next term at the time of dismissal, you will receive a full refund of tuition and fees. 


Academic Standards for Students in the BS/MS in Accounting Program

Admission to the BS/MS in Accounting Dual-Degree Program is only open to enrolled NYU Stern undergraduate students in the Business Program. Spring admission is only open to first-year students and sophomores. Juniors and seniors should speak to an academic adviser about applying for admission.        

To maintain good academic standing in the BS/MS in Accounting Dual-Degree Program, you must earn a grade of B- or better in all accounting coursework, maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5, and maintain a minimum semester GPA of 2.5.


Academic Warning

You receive a letter of academic warning if you earn a grade of C+, an incomplete or a withdrawal in a required accounting course or your performance results in a semester GPA below 2.5 (even if the cumulative GPA is above 2.5). You are advised to seek guidance from the BS/MS in Accounting Program academic adviser to discuss recommendations for achieving an appropriate standard for academic performance.

Academic Probation

If your record is deemed unsatisfactory, you are placed on academic probation for the BS/MS in Accounting Program and are informed of this by letter. A record is deemed unsatisfactory if in any semester your cumulative GPA falls below 2.5 and/or you earn a grade of C or below in any required accounting course.


Following one semester of probation, you may be dismissed from the BS/MS in Accounting Program if you fail to satisfy the conditions of the probation.

If you are placed on probation in your second-to-last semester in the BS in Business Degree Program and fail to satisfy the conditions of probation at the conclusion of the final semester in the BS Program, you may not be permitted to matriculate into the MS in Accounting Program. 

MS in Accounting Program

Admission to the MS in Accounting Program is contingent upon completion of the BS in Business Program. Conferral of the MS in Accounting degree is dependent upon you earning a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better and satisfying any other degree requirements maintained by the Graduate School of the Stern School of Business.


Concentration(s) and Minor Selection

You are encouraged to declare a concentration(s), major in CAS, and/or minor by the end of your sophomore year. You are required to declare at least one Stern concentration on Albert no later than the end of their junior year. When considering a double concentration, a major through CAS, or minor, you should be aware that the degree requirements might exceed 128 credits, possibly affecting your financial aid. If you have questions about specific concentrations, double concentrations, or minor possibilities, or who need help making this decision, schedule an appointment with a Stern Academic Adviser, the respective undergraduate faculty adviser, or the appropriate minor department. 


Declaring Your Concentration/Minor/2nd Major

The primary major for a Stern BS in Business degree is Business. You are permitted to declare up to three official designations beyond the major in Business (i.e. two concentrations and one minor; one concentration and two minors; or two concentrations through Stern and one major through the College of Arts & Science).


Double Counting of Stern Course Work

Stern students are not permitted to count Stern coursework toward more than one requirement. For instance, if you are concentrating in finance and global business, you may count International Financial Management either as an advanced finance elective or as a global business requirement—it cannot count toward both concentrations. In some situations, certain Stern courses taken as substitutes for specific curricular requirements may be used to satisfy both the requirement in question and an upper-level elective toward the completion of a given concentration. You are encouraged to meet with an academic adviser to determine if this may apply to their situation and, more generally if you have any questions about how this policy might impact your planned academic progress.


Proficiency Examinations

Writing Proficiency Examination

Stern first-year students are required to take two writing courses. You must take Commerce and Culture (MULT-UB 100)) and Business and Society (SOIM-UB 125). 

Internal transfer students from other NYU divisions should have satisfied the proficiency requirement by achieving a minimum grade of C in a corresponding writing course completed through their previous division.

External transfer students* must complete a proficiency examination administered by the Expository Writing Center in May, August, and December.

All students must receive a passing score on the writing proficiency examination to graduate. Any student who fails the test must instead register for EXPOS-UA 13 Writing Tutorial (4 units) for graduation, which is offered on a pass/fail basis only. Any student who fails this course must repeat it until a passing grade is earned. The course is also available for other students as space permits. In particular, the tutorial course provides intensive individual writing lessons. For more information, visit or contact the Expository Writing Center, 411 Lafayette Street, 4th Floor; 212-998-8860.


Transfer Business Proficiency Examinations

All transfer credits received in each of the following subjects are designated as elective only, pending completion of a multiple-choice proficiency examination in the subject: finance, marketing, and statistics. If you obtain a passing score, the credits are redistributed to fulfill the appropriate requirement in the degree program (MKTG-UB 1, Introduction to Marketing; FINC-UB 2, Foundations of Finance; or STAT-UB 1, Statistics for Business Control). You may take these examinations only once. If you fail the proficiency examination, the transfer course remains as elective credit and you must satisfy the introductory requirement at Stern. Only students with introductory courses in these subjects from a previous institution are eligible for proficiency examinations (except for students with scores of 4 or 5 on the AP examination in statistics). All proficiency examinations are administered by the Stern Office of Academic Advising. If you wish to take any of these examinations, you must do so by the stated deadline provided by the Advising Office each year.

*External transfer students who did not take two writing courses at their previous institution, but who took other coursework that required intensive writing, may submit a portfolio of writing samples to the Expository Writing Program for use in evaluating if they are required to take EXPOS-UA 1. Students waived from this requirement due to their submission of a portfolio are still required to pass the Writing Proficiency Exam.

Advanced Standing and Credit By Examination

The Stern School of Business Undergraduate College strongly recommends that you apply no more than 20 advanced standing points toward your degree requirements given that the Stern curriculum has been carefully designed to ensure both intellectual depth and breadth throughout four years. To apply for advanced standing, you must

  • submit proof of prior college-level course work or advanced placement (AP) test results to NYU Undergraduate Admissions or bring a sealed envelope of the transcripts and/or the test results to the Stern Undergraduate Office of Academic Advising,
  • meet with your adviser at Stern to discuss the implications of applying credits
  • sign an Advanced Standing Agreement Form found on Stern Life or with an academic adviser 

First-year students: You are highly encouraged to consult with an academic adviser before you apply AP credit toward your first term at NYU.

Credit by Examination

The Advanced Placement Program (AP-College Entrance Examination Board), the International Baccalaureate Program (IB), and the results of some foreign maturity certificate examinations enable undergraduate students to receive credit toward the bachelor's degree on the basis of performance in college-level examinations or proficiency examinations related to Stern's degree requirements, subject to the approval of the college.

The maximum number of units allowed toward the degree requirements that are a result of any possible combination of nonresidential special examination programs shall not exceed 32. Note: Stern strongly recommends that undergraduates apply no more than 20 units toward their degree requirements so they may fully experience the depth and breadth of the Stern curriculum.


Advanced Placement Program (AP)

New York University participates in the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board. In accordance with New York University policy, if test results are 4 or 5, depending on the subject examination, the student may receive college credit toward the degree and may not take the corresponding college-level course for credit.

Review the Advanced Placement Equivalencies Chart below:

International Baccalaureate (IB)

The Stern School recognizes for advanced standing credit most higher-level (HL) examinations passed with grades of 6 or 7 (with some exceptions). No credit is granted for standard-level (SL) examinations. Official reports must be submitted to the Undergraduate Admissions Processing Center for review.

Review the International Baccalaureate Equivalencies Chart below:

Maturity Certificate Examinations

The Stern Undergraduate College will consider the results of certain foreign maturity certificate examinations for advanced standing credit, i.e., British GCE "A" levels or Cambridge Pre-U, French Baccalauréat, German Abitur, Italian Maturità, or the Federal Swiss Maturity Certificate. Stern may require that score reports be authenticated and reviewed by approved independent credential evaluation agencies. 

Review the A-level Equivalencies Chart below. All other Maturity Certificate examinations will be reviewed with an adviser on a case-by-case basis.


Limitations on Advanced Standing Credits (By Subject)


  • All first-year Stern students are required to fulfill a 4-credit mathematics course. If you score a 4 or 5 on the AP Calculus BC exam, a 6 or 7 on the IB Higher Level (HL) Mathematics exam, or an A or B on the GCE A-level Math exam, you are eligible to apply those advanced standing credits to satisfy the Calculus I requirement.
  • The 4-credit math requirement is typically fulfilled through the successful completion of Calculus I (MATH-UA 121), but for students with advanced standing, a higher-level course may be more appropriate for fulfilling the 4-credit requirement. Stern academic advisers are available to help those students with advanced standing make appropriate course selections. Advanced standing can be used to place into either Calculus II, Calculus III, or Linear Algebra.


  • All first-year Stern students are required to complete the 4-unit Microeconomics course (ECON-UB 1 or ECON-UB 2).
  • Students in the B.S. in Business program also complete a 4-credit international economics course, Economics of Global Business (ECON-UB 11). No credit is awarded for any prior Economics course work or AP economics exams.
  • Students in the B.S. in Business and Political Economy program (BPE) will complete Intro to Macroeconomics (BPEP-UB 2) and International Economics (ECON-UA 238 International Economics) in lieu of Economics of Global Business.
  • Transfer students who do not enter Stern with an approved intermediate-level microeconomics course will be required to take Microeconomics with Algebra (ECON-UB 1) or Microeconomics with Calculus (ECON-UB 2) ) to satisfy this requirement.


All students entering Stern are required to fulfill a 6-credit statistics requirement. Students are eligible to waive out of 4 of the 6 total credit requirements based on an appropriate score in AP Statistics/IB Mathematics HL. To be waived from the 4-credit portion of the requirement, eligible students may take a proficiency examination in the first semester the student arrives on campus. Upon passing the examination, the 4 credits from the usual Statistics requirement are redistributed to electives. Regardless of advanced standing, all students must take the 2-credit course entitled Regression and Forecasting Models (STAT-UB 3).


All students entering Stern as first-years are required to complete an 8-unit writing sequence. No credit toward degree requirements is currently granted for prior course work or examination results in writing or exposition.

Semester Course Loads

Matriculated full-time students are expected to complete at least 32 units per academic year. To be in good academic standing, you must complete a minimum of 24 units per academic year. Failure to maintain full-time standing prior to the final degree semester results in a credit deficiency notation being placed on a student’s record and the student must meet with an academic adviser to discuss ways to achieve proper academic progress. Students are only permitted to register on a part-time basis (fewer than 12 units) during a summer session and/or the final semester of their degree program.

You must receive permission from the Stern Office of Academic Advising if you wish to take more than 18 units in a given semester. You can do this by meeting with an adviser and filling out a “Request to Increase Semester Credit Load” form. Permission to take more than 18 units per term is limited to students who have completed at least 32 units of work while matriculated at Stern and who have maintained a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better. First-year students may be given permission to take more than 18 units in a semester only after completing one full semester of course work and only if the student has a GPA of 3.5 or better. All students taking over 18 units in a given semester are subject to extra tuition and fees. We encourage you to talk to the Office of Financial Aid and/or the Office of the Bursar if you are taking less than 12 credits or more than 18 credits in a given semester to find out how your credit load may impact your tuition costs/financial aid. In addition, international students who pursue an approved semester of either an increased course load or fewer than 12 units are encouraged to meet with the Office of Global Services to discuss any potential implications on your  Visa status.

While the Stern curriculum only requires that your earn a minimum of 128 units to meet most concentration* and graduation requirements, you can take up to 144 credits while at Stern and have these count toward your GPA.  Courses taken in excess of 144 credits that do not meet degree requirements will be discounted from your degree chronologically (i.e. the most recent course taken that does not satisfy degree requirements will be discounted). If you are receiving financial aid, however, you might not receive funding for any credits taken over 128 units that do not count toward graduation requirements. If you must take an excess of 128 units in order to meet your graduation requirements, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

*Some Stern/CAS concentration/major combinations necessitate exceeding the 128 unit graduation requirement.


Residency Requirements

All degree candidates are subject to the following residency requirement: students, excluding those authorized to participate in an approved study away program, must complete at least 64 units of coursework in residence at the Undergraduate College of the Stern School of Business.       

Transfer students from other NYU schools are required to transfer in all graded credits taken at NYU prior to entering Stern with the exception of any advanced standing credit (AP, IB, etc.) that was automatically applied without their explicit consent at the outset of their original program. Internal transfer students may enter Stern with more than 64 earned units, however they are held to the 144 unit limit so that any non-required units earned in excess of that limit will be discounted from their degree. 

External transfer students can transfer in a maximum of 64 units from their prior institution(s).

Non-transfer students are allowed to transfer in a maximum of 32 units from the following: Advanced Placement Examinations, the International Baccalaureate Program, the results of certain foreign certificate examinations, and college credit earned prior or during matriculation at NYU (see policies related to “Non-NYU coursework”).

The full-time program should be completed in four years and must be completed within five consecutive calendar years or 10 academic semesters; this includes semesters taken at previous institutions. Failure to do so may result in academic dismissal.


Non-NYU Coursework

Students enrolled for degree programs at New York University are expected to take their courses, including summer sessions, at New York University. Exceptions are considered on a case-by-case basis.

Non-NYU Coursework Taken prior to Enrollment at NYU

Previously taken college coursework (non-business) can be reviewed for possible application of credit. Keep in mind that:

  • Non-NYU coursework must have been taken at either a community college or four-year, accredited, not-for-profit institution
  • You can transfer back a maximum of 32 credits of non-business coursework. This coursework must be approved for transfer by the Stern Office of Academic Advising. 
  • Previously taken college/university business coursework may not be used for credit and may only be evaluated for placement. 
    • External transfer students who took business coursework at their previous institution can have those courses reviewed for both placement and for possible credit (see policies related to Transfer Business Proficiency Examinations).
  • You must have earned a grade of B or higher for the credits to transfer to NYU.
  • You must provide a final, official transcript to facilitate credit transfer to NYU.


Non-NYU Coursework Taken while Enrolled at NYU

Keep in mind that:

  • Non-NYU coursework must be taken at a four-year, accredited, not-for-profit institution. 
  • You can transfer back a maximum of 8 credits of non-business coursework. This coursework must be pre-approved by the Stern Office of Academic Advising. This includes courses taken online. 
  • You must earn a grade of C or higher for the credits to transfer back to NYU.
  • Coursework taken outside of NYU must comply with the Stern residency requirements (see above).
  • You must provide a final, official transcript to facilitate credit transfer to NYU.

Leave of Absence or Complete Withdrawal from all Courses

Leaves of absence are approved for medical, financial, or personal reasons. You may request a leave of absence from the Stern Undergraduate College in advance of that semester for a period of up to two semesters in your career. The typical period for a leave of absence is one semester, but you may request a second semester as well. To request a leave of absence, you must meet with an academic adviser to discuss not only the reason for the leave, but also the ramifications and possible alternatives to taking a leave. Once approved, a Leave of Absence Form must be filed and students must complete the NYU Semester Withdrawal Form on Albert.

You should be aware of the following:

  • You may request a leave of absence from the Stern Undergraduate College for a maximum period of up to two semesters in your career.
  • If you are absent for more than two consecutive semesters, you must apply for readmission to the Stern Undergraduate College with no guarantees of acceptance.
    • International students whose home countries require students to perform two years of military service do not need to apply for readmission to NYU and Stern after a leave of absence for military service provided they meet the following conditions: (1) they are on leave for just four regular (e.g., fall and spring) semesters and (2) they provide documentation of their military service during that  time and an honorable discharge certificate, accompanied by  English translation by accredited third-party translators. Students who take a leave of absence for a military-related reason who fail to meet these conditions must apply for readmission with no guarantee of acceptance.
  • Leaves are not granted after the ninth week of the term except for compelling personal or medical reasons.
  • Refund percentages are based on the Office of the Bursar’s schedule of refunds and are not granted after the fourth week of the term.
  • If you request a leave of absence for two consecutive semesters, you are required to meet with your adviser upon your return to Stern.
  • Medical leaves require supporting documentation from the Student Health Center or Counseling & Wellness Services.
  • If you are returning from medical leave, you must get clearance from the Student Health Center or Counseling & Wellness Services prior to enrolling in classes.
  • You are responsible for financial aid renewal applications and deadlines while on leave.
  • Any student on an unofficial or unauthorized leave is required to apply for readmission.
  • International students are instructed to meet with an adviser in the Office of Global Services (OGS) prior to taking a leave of absence to ensure that their visa status allows for a leave and to discuss visa and other immigration implications, such as work authorization, that might arise from a medical, personal, or financial leave of absence.
  • Any student involved in an ongoing disciplinary investigation may not initiate an official withdrawal from the university without approval from the Stern Undergraduate College.


Leave of Absence or Withdrawal After the Start of a Semester

Once a semester has begun, enrolled students who want to (1) withdraw completely from all courses for the current semester, (2) withdraw completely from the University, or (3) take a leave of absence for the current semester must complete the NYU Semester Withdrawal Form on Albert and meet with an academic adviser. 

You do not need to complete the NYU Semester Withdrawal Form if (1) you are dropping/adding individual classes, but will remain enrolled at NYU, or (2) are notifying the Stern Office of Academic Advising about your intent to take a leave of absence or withdraw from the university for a future semester.


Early Graduation

All students accepted to the Stern School of Business are admitted to a 4-year (8 academic semesters) program. You are encouraged to participate in the wide range of opportunities found at NYU including clubs, sports, community service, and internships over the four-year period.

The possibility of early graduation is contingent upon the completion of all required coursework. Completion of coursework is subject to course availability and successful completion of all degree requirements. If you are interested in early graduation, you are encouraged to discuss it with an academic adviser.


Access to Academic Information

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) requires the permission of a student to release information from his or her education records to a third party (except in certain specified instances). Your education record includes all documents maintained by the University in either hard copy or electronic format that contain personally identifiable information about you. If you wish to consent to release information from your education records for the purpose of keeping a parent or other individual informed of their progress at NYU, you must complete the Consent to Share Student Information Form which can be found in the Stern Office of Academic Advising or on Stern Life.. You have the right to revoke the permissions granted at any time by submitting a revocation letter to the Stern Office of Academic Advising. The waiver to share information with a third party remains in effect until you submit such a letter. For more information on FERPA, see NYU’s FERPA policies.