Minors and Electives

Students are encouraged, and in many cases required, to take courses outside of Stern at the other schools at NYU. Use this page to find out about minors, required cross school courses and your elective requirements.


Joint School Minors are those that either combine coursework from multiple departments and schools or are housed in one specific department. Stern has partnered with other schools to create the following joint-school minors (click on the hyperlinks for information about requirements): You may also pursue one of the many other cross school minors that don't include Stern coursework. B.S. in Business students may not pursue a minor in Economics. B.S. in Business and Political Economy students may not pursue minors in Economics or Politics.

To declare a minor in the system, you must do so through Albert.  Instructions on how to do this can be found on the NYU Registrar's Website.

Courses in your minor will satisfy elective requirements. You may not declare classes that fulfill minor requirements pass/fail. Please see pass/fail policy for further details.


Students are required to take 44 units of electives. Of those units, at least 20 must be taken outside of Stern (see list below of schools in which approved coursework can be taken).

The remaining 24 units of elective credit can be taken at Stern (a secondary concentration, interesting electives, etc.) or can also be used to take coursework at other NYU schools.

Approved non-Stern coursework includes classes taken at (all prerequisites and course requirements must be met):
Students do not receive credit for courses taken through the School of Professional Studies and therefore, Stern students are not permitted to enroll in courses through any SPS programs.

If you choose to pursue a major through the College of Arts and Sciences, please note that most of your elective credits will be used to fulfill those major requirements. You are encouraged to meet with an academic adviser (link to advising) in addition to someone in the department in which you are majoring to discuss how the required coursework will impact your curricular plan.