Hong Kong University of Science and Technology is a dynamic and forward-thinking university that embraces a truly global outlook and an innovative spirit. Founded in 1991, the University has been rapidly established as a top global institution and built a respectable reputation in the region by aligning world-class educational resources with the growth momentum of Asia. The University has developed a unique East-West educational ethos centered on the core values of excellence, diversity, and open-minded curiosity. As the leading Global Business School in the region, our vision and ambitions distinguish us from the rest.
By becoming an exchange student at HKUST Business School, you will enter an exciting chapter in your life. The University campus occupies a 60-hectare (150-acre) site of sweeping natural beauty on the Clear Water Bay peninsula in East Kowloon. Our mission is to provide a holistic academic experience, developing the intellectual & personal strengths of our students. Our Exchange Programs, with 135 partners globally, is an integral part of the experience and international students add a dimension of cultural vitality to campus life.
HKUST offers IBEX opportunities in the fall and spring semesters, as well as a summer semester program.
- Fall semester: late-August to late-December
- Spring semester: mid-January to late-May
- Summer Program: late June to mid-August (see details below - jump link)
Dates are approximate and may be subject to change.
Housing and Living Costs
- Housing: You will be given university-provided accommodations either on-campus or in the off-campus Jockey Club Hall. You will need to indicate your preference on the application form. All rooms are double-occupancy and include utilities except for electricity expenses due to air conditioning use.
- Exchange student fee: HK$9,400/semester for the fall or spring semester (see fees for the Summer Program below - jump link). This fee includes university-provided housing of HK$8,400/semester, student visa fees of HK$700, and mandatory HKUST insurance of HK$300/semester.
- Food (no meal plan available): approximately HK$35/meal on campus
- Books and class materials: approximately HK$1,500/semester
- Local transportation and personal expenses: approximately HK$12,000/semester
HK$ = Hong Kong dollar
Language of Instruction
The student services available to exchange students include:
- Academic advising: Your HKUST academic advisor is the Business Schools’ Exchange Program Coordinator.
- Buddy program: You will automatically be enrolled in HKUST’s one-on-one business buddy program, with the hope you will easily adapt to HKUST. Buddies may also provide airport reception and a buddy activity is organized on the first Saturday after the Orientation. Students can also opt into a secondary buddy program through HKUST’s Global Students Programs Office (GSPO).
- Global Students Programs Office (GSPO): HKUST’s Global Students Program Office supports incoming and outgoing study abroad programs. They also handle student visas and arrange activities for you!
- Computer services: You will be given access to the online University’s Student Information System (SIS) and an email account after official registration.
- On-campus sports and recreation facilities: You will be given a student identity card, which will give you access to sports and amenities facilities on campus including the indoor/outdoor swimming pool, track field, rock-climbing wall, soccer field, seafront BBQ pits, and more.