What is the difference between IBEX and NYU Study Away?

As an IBEX exchange student, you enroll directly at a leading international business school and take classes with students from around the world. You earn course credits that transfer back to NYU, allowing you to stay on track with your curriculum. With NYU Study Away, you attend classes at an international NYU campus with other NYU students. You earn NYU credits that also allow you to stay on track with your curriculum.

When should I start making plans to study away on IBEX?

It is important to meet with an Academic Adviser as early as possible in your academic career to discuss your interest in the IBEX program. The earlier you begin planning, the more options and flexibility you will have. In addition, the Application Process & Important Dates page is another useful planning tool. It outlines the IBEX process - from applying to preparing for departure.

When should I apply?

One application process is held per academic year for IBEX, and you must apply approximately one year in advance. The application will open in the Fall and the annual IBEX Application Deadline is usually in early November.

Are there language requirements?

All of the IBEX partner schools offer course work in English as well as in their native language. Most Stern students complete coursework in English. It is helpful to have some background in French for Sciences Po, HEC Paris and Universite Paris Dauphine; likewise, it is helpful to have some background in Korean for Yonsei University and Mandarin for Peking University. If you are interested in taking your course work in a language other than English, the partner school may ask you to demonstrate your language proficiency through an examination or other documentation.

Is there a minimum GPA requirement to apply to the IBEX Program?

The minimum GPA requirement is 3.0.

What if I don't meet the minimum GPA requirement?

Students with a GPA below 3.0 can still apply to IBEX. These applicants may be asked to meet with an International Exchanges & Special Programs staff member and/or Academic Adviser to discuss academic needs and expectations. Preference is given to candidates with a 3.0 or above, but candidates with a GPA below 3.0 may be given a conditional acceptance should space remain.  

Can I study abroad in either the Fall or the Spring semesters?

Both semesters are available for the IBEX study abroad program. You can study abroad in the Fall or Spring semesters of your Junior year or in the Fall semester of your Senior year.  (We do not recommend studying on IBEX during your senior spring.)  Most schools are available for both semesters but may have start and end dates that are different from NYU. When researching which IBEX school you would like to attend please make sure to note the specific term dates and make sure they work for you. 

If I am abroad how will I get an internship for the summer since I will miss the recruitment period?

With preparation and organization, it is very possible to recruit while abroad!  Many students have contacted companies prior to leaving to let them know why they will not be present during the recruitment period. Students have also conducted phone/Skype interviews while they were abroad, keeping in mind time differences. The key is to be proactive and network. Talk to Stern students who recently returned from studying abroad on IBEX, as well as the Wasserman Center for Career Development to get additional information and advice about internship recruitment prior to studying abroad. After you return, you will be able to market your unique IBEX experience and skills during interviews. Visit IBEX and Your Career for more information on how to make the most out of your time abroad.

What will the housing be like at the university I am attending?

The housing situation varies at each partner university. Both on and off-campus options may be available. You can find descriptions of housing options on the partner schools' exchange program websites or on the IBEX Partner Schools pages. Once accepted into the program you will be put in contact with your host school to discuss the various housing options. Stern students who have recently returned from an IBEX semester are also good resources. 

How many students are accepted to each school?

Generally, anywhere between one and eight students are selected to attend each of our 17 partner schools. 

How will my tuition and financial aid work while I am studying on IBEX?

Your tuition costs and financial aid will remain the same while on IBEX. Tuition will still be paid directly to NYU. Housing costs will be paid abroad (not to NYU). You can find more information at Tuition, Housing and Other Logistics. Students who have questions about their financial aid while abroad should consult the NYU Office of Financial Aid

What classes can I take on IBEX?

The courses you take on IBEX will depend on the partner school you attend and your own concentration(s) and minors. You will meet with both an Academic Adviser and an International Exchanges & Special Programs staff member to plan your courses before departure.  

All schools offer coursework in English. You must plan to take at least two general electives (between 6-8 NYU credits). You can also take a maximum of two courses per concentration while on IBEX (however you cannot take any Accounting courses abroad). You should review the list of approved courses for your IBEX Partner School and talk to Stern students who have studied there in the past. Most partner schools do not post their confirmed classes until 1 or 2 months prior to the start of the semester. You will have time to drop/add courses once you are abroad.

Will the grades I earn on IBEX factor into my Stern GPA?

Although letter/numeric grades are earned abroad, classes taken while on IBEX transfer back to your NYU Stern transcript as pass/fail. Note that the courses you take Pass/Fail on IBEX are not taken into account in the 4 total courses that you are permitted to take Pass/Fail at Stern.

Passing grades will not affect your Stern GPA, however, a failing grade will factor into your Stern GPA. If you fail a class it will be transferred back as a fail and cannot be waived or omitted from your NYU transcript.  Please note: You will receive an official transcript from your IBEX school that will list your classes and your actual grades - along with their grading scale. You will be able to show this transcript to any graduate school or employer who requests more information about your academic performance while on IBEX. 

Can I take classes at an IBEX partner school if I wasn't accepted to IBEX?

If you would like to attend an IBEX partner school for a full semester and transfer back a full semester worth of credits, you must officially apply to the IBEX program and be accepted according to the timeline and process. Students who are accepted into IBEX must work with the Stern International Exchanges Office throughout the exchange process, and can take a range of approved courses as long as they take the equivalent of between 12-18 NYU credits.

If you would like to do an independent visiting student program at an IBEX partner school, you will be responsible for working directly with the partner school for their course registration and other visiting student arrangements.  Students participating in a visiting student program can take up to 8 elective credits, and the credits must be pre-approved by the Stern Academic Advising Office in order to transfer the credits back to Stern.

I have a specific question about a school or class. Who can I talk to?

You can contact Stern's International Exchanges and Special Programs or speak with an Academic Adviser. Additionally, you can speak with an IBEX Ambassador who are students who have recently returned from a semester abroad at one of our partner schools and are willing to talk about their experiences with you, by contacting International Exchanges and Special Programs.