Timeline for PhDThe Ph.D. Program at NYU Stern provides all qualified doctoral students with a financial aid package consisting of a living stipend, tution coverage, health insurance coverage, and an opportunity to hold research or teaching assistantships. All incoming dotoral students can expect to receive a financial aid package for five years, provided that students maintain satisfactory academic standing. All financial aid awards require residency for 11 months (September through July). More information on financial aid for Ph. D. students at NYU Stern can be found on the Ph.D. admissions page.
While the Ph.D. Program covers 100% of tuition, Ph.D. students may be eligible to borrow student loans to cover any additional student related living expenses up to their cost of attendance. Cost of attendance (COA), also known as the student's budget, represents a student's maximum financial aid eligibility for informational purposes. Students may only borrow loans up to the COA, minus any other financial aid received. To qualify for loans students must be enrolled in classes or have equivalency posted to their student account for academic activities related to their Ph.D. Program.
PhD students must speak with a Financial Aid representative to discuss their loan options prior to completing the steps below. Please contact us if you are intereted in borrowing any student loans.
To apply for Federal Student Loans:
- Complete the most recent FAFSA online. This application is used to determine federal student loan eligibility for the entire academic year. Please review the federal loans section of our website for detailed information on the types of loans available.
- Contact the Stern Graduate Financial Aid Office so we are aware that your FAFSA information is being processed. We will then confirm your federal loan eligibility with the PhD Office and package your loans accordingly.
- Receive a financial aid award notice to your Stern e-mail account.
- Accept your federal loans on NYU Albert. This is the university-wide system which provides a comprehensive view of your financial aid.
- Sign in at studentaid.gov to secure your loans. You must complete the:
- Entrance Counseling Session
- Master Promissory Note(s)
- After accepting and securing your loan(s), please confirm approval with Stern Graduate Financial Aid.
- Apply for a semester-only private loan or a fall/spring combined loan directly with a private lender about one month prior to your payment deadline. Review the private student loans section of our website for application tips and topics you should discuss with your lender.
- Contact the Stern Graduate Financial Aid Office so that we may confirm your loan eligibility with the PhD Office and request that your loan be certified by the Central NYU Office of Financial Aid.
- Once the loan is certified, receive a financial aid award notice to your Stern email account.
- After securing your loan(s), please confirm approval with Stern Graduate Financial Aid.