International Students

International students have several opportunities to receive financial aid at Stern:

  • Private loans- Depending upon their situation, students may have different private loan alternatives. For students who have a U.S. co-signer, they may borrow up to the full Cost of Attendance.
  • Scholarships- Scholarships awarded by Stern are merit-based and do not require a separate application.
  • Tuition Remission positions- Students who complete teaching fellowship and graduate assistantship positions can receive partial tuition remission or payroll in exchange for their service. 

International students are also encouraged to take advantage of external sources of aid. These may include:

  • Private Grants & Scholarships- Many organizations offer support for international students. You should contact any civic, fraternal, religious, or service organizations with which you are already affiliated to see if they offer any assistance.
  • Government Support- Some countries provide support for their citizens who are studying in the United States. Contact your country's ministry of education, embassy, or consulate about possible funding.
  • Corporate Support (Employer Sponsorship)- You should inquire with your employer about any financial support available within your corporate organization. Contact your supervisor or human resources department for detailed information.

Private Loan Guidance

For visa purposes, you should not include potential merit-based scholarships or private student loans as sources of funding. For further details, click here.

When applying for a private loan, you will submit an application directly to the lender of your choice. For a sample list of lenders, please refer to the private loans section on this site. In the event that you do not have your required Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) documents, you may still submit a private loan application. It is advised that a student provide their lender with the paperwork they currently have at their disposal and then follow up once the INS documentation (visa and I-20) is received. The processing time at that point will be much faster than if the application were to be submitted once all the INS information is processed.
Keep in mind that if you have a social security number (SSN), you are required by lenders to use the number at the time you submit a private loan application. This means that should you be approved for the loan, the lender will disburse the funds to NYU under your SSN. Thus, you must update your information in NYU’s database via the Office of Records and Registration so that the loan properly disburses to your account. Failure to update your information, may result in the loan funds being returned to the lender. They will then have to be reissued which will greatly delay your tuition from being paid.