The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is an online form that is filled out annually by both prospective and current students to determine eligibility for federal student loans.
Please note that the FAFSA is applicable to domestic students (U.S. citizens and permanent residents) only. Additionally, if you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25, you must register with Selective Service to be eligible for federal loans.
- Gather current documents such as bank statements, most recent tax returns, and W-2 forms.
- Electronically complete the most recent FAFSA application on-line. The FAFSA application becomes available on October 1st each year. Do this as soon as possible to ensure approval of federal loans in time for registration and payment deadlines.
- Be sure to include 002785 as the Title IV code for New York University. This code enables the school to view the FAFSA information.
- About one week after submission of the FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). Check the SAR for any errors and make corrections if needed.
- NYU receives the FAFSA electronically. However, NYU only reviews and packages federal loans for enrolled students (who have already sent in their deposit), as well as for current students.
- Award notices are emailed to your Stern account one month prior to your payment deadline. You will be directed to NYU Albert, the university-wide system, where you will review and accept your federal student loans.
- Secure your loans at studentaid.gov where you will electronically sign your Master Promissory Note(s) and complete online entrance counseling.
- Please keep in mind that the disbursement of federal loan funds will not occur until after the first week of class. Therefore, we advise that you budget your finances accordingly.
- Renew the FAFSA for each academic year in which you wish to receive federal loans.
|IF YOU PLAN TO ATTEND FROM||YOU WILL SUBMIT THIS FAFSA||YOU CAN SUBMIT THE FAFSA FROM||USING INCOME AND TAX INFO FROM|
|JULY 1, 2020 - JUNE 30, 2021||2020-2021||OCTOBER 1, 2019 - JUNE 30, 2021||2018|
|JULY 1, 2021 - JUNE 30, 2022||2021-2022||OCTOBER 1, 2021 - JUNE 30, 2022||2019|
|JULY 1, 2022 - JUNE 30, 2023||2022-2023||OCTOBER 1, 2021 - JUNE 30, 2023||2020|
|JULY 1, 2023 - JUNE 30, 2024||2023-2024||OCTOBER 1, 2021 - JUNE 30, 2024||2021|