Biographical Information

You may update your contact information by accessing Albert and going to the Personal Info tab under the Student tab. Here is a list of options you are allowed to update:
  • Address
  • Emergency contact information
  • Cell phone number
  • Employer information
  • Phone number
You need to complete the “Change of Name” form, available at our office, or on our website here. In addition, you must provide to our office a copy of the supporting documentation (marriage certificate, divorce document, etc.) to verify your new name. Please return these documents to the Office of Records and Registration and we will update your records.
It is NYU/Stern policy to record and display your legal name (as it appears on legal or government issued documents such as birth certificate, social security card, court order, passport, etc.) on all official University documents including but not limited to transcripts, verifications, and diplomas. If you wish to update your primary name (legal name) on University records, you must provide us with legal documentation, such as certified court order, marriage license, divorce decree, birth certificate, or passport reflecting your new legal name.
You can use a preferred name as long as it isn’t used for purposes of misrepresentation, avoiding legal obligation, or the use of offensive or derogatory language. Preferred name will be used except in cases where the use of your legal name is necessary to university business and/or legal requirements.

If you wish to use a preferred name during your time at Stern, you may change your preferred name via Albert under the “Personal Info” section> Click “Add a new name”> Select preferred from the “name type” dropdown menu> Enter your preferred name> Click save. Once a preferred name is entered in Albert, the preferred name will also appear in Albert Student Center, class/grade rosters in Albert/BrightSpace, NYU Connect, StudentLink, ServiceLink, Systems that use your NYU NetID and password authentication, Albert Mobile Guest Users portal, Your NYU Card.  

Please note: Using a preferred name is not the same as legally changing your name legally through the courts.
Complete a “Request to Add Social Security Number” form available at our office or on our website here. Provide to our office a copy of your Social Security card along with this form. Return it to Records & Registration and we will process the update.
This means the NYU Student Health Center does not have your immunization records on file. Please visit the Student Health Center Immunization Records Services at 726 Broadway (at Waverly Place), 3rd Floor — or call them at (212) 443-1199 to find out the procedure for updating your immunization records.
Students may directly update their visa status (with a copy of documentation) with the Office of Global Services.