Taking Courses at Other NYU Divisions
Taking Courses at Other NYU Graduate Schools
Many Stern MBA students find that there are courses offered at other NYU graduate schools that are of interest to them and complimentary to their goals for the MBA program. If you are interested in registering for a course at another NYU graduate school, you should first review the Non-Stern Pre-Approved Course List to determine whether the course you are interested has already been pre-approved by Academic Affairs and Advising. If the course is pre-approved, you should follow the procedure listed under the "Pre-Approved Courses" tab on this page. If the course you are interested in has not been pre-approved by Academic Affairs and Advising, you should follow the procedure listed under the "Non Pre-Approved Courses" tab on this page.
A complete list of courses within other NYU divisions, with times, locations and availability, can be found using the Public Course Search in Albert. For a list of Law School classes, please go to the Law School's course catalog.
- In order to register for a course at another NYU graduate school, you must have completed your Stern Core requirements or be completing them this semester.
- To be eligible to graduate, MBA candidates may not complete more than 15.0 credits outside of Stern. This includes courses taken as part of a study abroad exchange program, courses taken as a visiting student, and courses taken at another NYU divisions.
- New York University students may not pursue two degrees simultaneously at different schools of the University, unless accepted and enrolled into one of the established dual degree programs.
Dual degree students
- Dual degree students must account for credit reductions when determining how many non-Stern credits can be taken.
- A Dual degree student must complete a minimum of 45 credits at Stern despite their credit reduction. This reduces their applicable credits outside of Stern by the number required at Stern. For example, a dual degree student who is required to take 51 credits at Stern for their dual degree requirement will be able to apply only 6 credits to the MBA requirement from another NYU Division or from Study Abroad.
Other NYU Division courses approved by Academic Affairs and Advising to count toward the MBA program will be included in the Stern GPA. A student must receive a passing grade to receive credit toward the MBA for a non-Stern course. After registering for a non-Stern NYU elective, the course will appear on the My Academic Progress page under "Courses Not Credited to MBA." After a passing grade has been submitted, the NYU course will be moved under the Elective area.
The assignment of Stern credits is based on the number of credits assigned by the NYU Division offering the course, up to 3 credits maximum per course. The credit value for courses varies by school and, sometimes, by course.
- Seats in courses at other NYU divisions are not guaranteed.
- Students pay tuition for these courses through Stern according to their Stern credit equivalence.
- It is the student's responsibility to be aware of the add/drop dates and deadlines for any approved courses taken outside of the Stern School of Business.
- Non-Stern courses are added during the drop/add period and are not included in the lottery selection.
- Many other NYU division courses maintain course prerequisites/co-requisites. Students must meet course prerequisites for the class they wish to register for at the other NYU division. Students can review these requirements on the Albert Course Search online. For a list of Law School classes and requirements, please go to www.law.nyu.edu.
Registering for a Pre-Approved Course
Once you have reviewed the Non-Stern Pre-Approved Course List to confirm that the course you are interested in has been pre-approved by Academic Affairs and Advising, please complete the following procedure to register:
- Complete the online request form through the Other NYU Division Courses site. For pre-approved courses, students do NOT need to include a course description or syllabus.
- Academic Affairs and Advising will review and process the request. If approved, you will need to determine the availability in the course directly with the NYU division and, if necessary, receive approval from the other NYU division to register for the course.
- Once approval has been issued by Stern and the other NYU division, follow the instructions in your communication from Academic Affairs and Advising regarding your request.
Registering for a course that is not Pre-Approved
Note: Non-Stern courses must be at the Masters degree level, must address a business or management subject that is not covered by Stern electives, and must fit clearly into the student's MBA program. Language and undergraduate courses never qualify. It is the student's responsibility to verify course expectations directly with the other NYU division. Students should confirm their ability to handle the coursework before submitting their request.
To request approval of a course that does not appear on the pre-approved list:
1) Complete the online form through our Other NYU Division Courses site at least two weeks prior to the first class meeting. (Petitions submitted any later may not be reviewed.)
The following information must be included in the petition (petitions will only be reviewed upon receipt of all below items):
- Course description
- Syllabus with meeting times, lecture topics and deliverables
- A detailed explanation of how the course will enhance or complement the student's academic program
2) Academic Affairs and Advising will review and process the request. If approved, you will need to determine the availability in the course directly with the NYU division and, if necessary, receive approval from the other NYU division to register for the course.
Requests will be reviewed by the appropriate advisors and Stern faculty. When submitting a petition, please keep in mind that the Stern faculty has already reviewed and approved courses which they feel are appropriate for Stern MBA students and have included them in the Non-Stern Pre-Approved Course list. Students are advised to make sure that the subject matter is not covered in an existing Stern class.
All students registering for courses at the School of Law that are not pre-approved must also fill out the following form and take it to the School of Law and Academic Affairs and Advising for faculty and administrative signatures.
3) Once approval has been issued by Stern and the other NYU division, follow the instructions in your communication from Academic Affairs and Advising regarding your request.