Leave of Absence
Degree candidates must maintain continuous matriculation throughout the duration of the program.
Students may maintain matriculation by registering for courses or requesting a Leave of Absence during each fall and spring semester in which they are enrolled in the MBA program. Students who are unable to enroll during a fall or spring semester, or who drop or withdraw from all courses must request a leave of absence.
- Students do not need to register or request a Leave of Absence during the Summer Modules (Summer I, Summer II and Summer Intensive).
- The Winter Intensive is considered part of the spring semester. Students who take courses in the Winter Intensive period but not the proper spring semester are maintaining matriculation for the spring and do not need to request a leave of absence for that semester.
- The Fall Intensive is considered part of the fall semester. Students who take courses in the Fall Intensive period but not the proper fall semester are maintaining matriculation for the fall and do not need to request a leave of absence for that semester.
- reserves a student's place in the degree program as a continuing student.
- ensures that the student will continue to receive registration materials and any other communications to enrolled students.
Students must petition the Academic Policy Board in advance of any Fall or Spring term for which they are unable to enroll or during which they drop or withdraw from all courses. Leaves of absence are included in the program completion deadline which is six years from the semester of first enrollment.
Leaves of Absence are not granted to students who find they cannot begin the program in the semester for which they were admitted or successfully complete one course in that first semester. These students must contact MBA Admissions for information on the reapplication process for a subsequent semester.
Leave of Absence Request Process
1) Submit Request
Students must submit their request for a Leave of Absence to the Academic Policy Board. The application must include:
- The reason a Leave of Absence is necessary.
- The term in which enrollment is expected to resume.
- A detailed academic action plan for degree completion upon return from the Leave of Absence.
If a leave of absence is granted:
2) Pay Maintaining Matriculation Fee
Students must maintain matriculation by paying a fee to the Stern Bursar called a Maintaining Matriculation Fee. The fee is calculated on a per semester basis and must be paid at the time the leave is granted. Approved students will receive an approval letter from Academic Affairs and Advising with the fee amount and payment instructions. Students are not eligible to continue in their degree programs unless a Leave of Absence has been granted and the matriculation fee has been paid. Please inquire with Academic Affairs and Advising for the current fee amount.
3) Contact the Office of Financial Aid
Students must contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine how a Leave of Absence may affect their financial aid packages and repayment plans.
4) Contact OGS (International Students only)
International students should contact the Office of Global Services (OGS) to discuss how the Leave of Absence may impact their visa status.